Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boom  (Read 1401 times)

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Boom
« on: February 10, 2010, 05:48:15 pm »

So I spend bring 150 more Drinks than usual, trying to do a 1 local tile challenge, thinking: "As this will be tough, I might aswell bring the extra booze." Then I noticed I had a very docile group of fire imps:
"Hmm... Well they seem to be scared of my marksdwarves, might aswell just leave em be so I can breed em later."

10 steps later:

6 Dwarves down, everything in the wagon xdamagedx, a muskox dead (not in pic) and worst of all, the booze is gone.

Is there a way to prevent instant wagon combustion?
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boom
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:08:19 pm »

Make sure the fire doesn't get to it. The easiest way is to designate a 3-5 tile-wide dirt road directly around your wagon; this clears away the grass which transmits fires, so unless the wagon gets directly hit by a fireball, it won't burn. Dirt roads are best for this because they require no special labor to build and are very quick.

Also, do your best to move everything underground ASAP.

Also, unless you've modded them, fire imps don't breed. They're genderless and have no child-related tags. So it's usually best to kill them quickly for the early value their body parts can bring.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:14:30 pm »

Make sure the fire doesn't get to it. The easiest way is to designate a 3-5 tile-wide dirt road directly around your wagon; this clears away the grass which transmits fires, so unless the wagon gets directly hit by a fireball, it won't burn. Dirt roads are best for this because they require no special labor to build and are very quick.
<snip>
Actually, you can just designate a stockpile ring around whatever you don't want burned (or just a small ring around the fire itself), as due to a bug fire won't cross stockpiles. Don't know it that's going to be fixed in the next version.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 11:34:28 am »

But imps will cross them.

You sure DO have a miner, so instead of a road dig a channel, being sure that the last tile channeled is on the right side of the square (so that the miner colses himself in while channeling from west).
Imps will not fire through channel, it works like GCS, they will only use special attacks (fireball or net) if they can path to the target.

Leave some space for a down staircase and you can move everything underground.