Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fire projectile alterations  (Read 719 times)

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
fire projectile alterations
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:24:58 pm »

i learned from this thread (http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=47319.0) that fire imps have a problem with shooting through fortifications and grates, also they dont fire over channels.  if this could be changed so that such things would be changed in future versions in order to make imp defense systems easier to create it would be awesome.
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: fire projectile alterations
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 08:52:59 pm »

In my opinion it's a bigger problem that dwarves are immune to dragon's breath :P , but yes, I agree.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 03:23:38 pm »

In my opinion it's a bigger problem that dwarves are immune to dragon's breath :P , but yes, I agree.

Dwarves are immune to dragon's breath?  I never noticed because my stonefall traps always one shot KO'd them  ::)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:00:49 pm »

Ah, so thats how my new recruit managed to kill that adult dragon.

The field was pre-burned.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 04:55:26 pm »

Bah, remember facing my first dragon (during a siege!) and how I thought I was screwed as I sent my soldiers at him (or her). Then suddenly there's yellow and red and grey and I realize the dragon is breathing fire right at a cluster of my troops. A true "Oh ****!" moment... until I realized that even though they were smack in the middle of this huge cloud of fire, every single one of them somehow "dodged" it and didn't got even light grey wounds.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 09:46:43 pm »

I've only fought a dragon once, so this might not be perfectly robust research, but I believe having a shield will render you almost 100% immune to dragonfire, but if you bash with your shield, you can get roasted before it recovers.

Can anyone comment on this?

Anyhow, I don't see how the problems with dragonfire make the problems with fire imps less important, I've never even seen a dragon in fortress mode, but I contend with imps all the time.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 04:48:25 pm »

Could you elaborate on your encounter that brought you to this assumption?

I honnestly never have had any of my dwarves combat a dragon.  Like I said all megabeasts have been killed with one or two stone traps.  Since the most recent encounter I have refused to use stone-fall traps, weapon traps, or cage traps for defense.  (I use cage traps sparsely to catch some mobs to play with)