Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Torture Pit design sound?  (Read 1044 times)

4lph4w0lf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Torture Pit design sound?
« on: February 06, 2010, 09:38:49 pm »

Was reading another post on the forums about some elf prisoner in need of some pain and I got a great idea for something of a "Torture Pit".  I would be an area you could put a captive for "questioning" and if/when they don't give you the information you want you can slowly extract it from them.  Here is my design and I was wondering if you guys could tell me if the trap design will work:

Code: [Select]
Z: -1
WDWWW
XXWWX
XXXXX
XXXXX

Z: 0
WWDWW
..CS.

Z: +1
WWWDW
...F.

KEY:
X = Weapon traps filled with whips
W = Wall
D = Door
C = Cage with "special friend" inside (linked to a lever)
S = Support (linked to a lever)
F = Constructed floor

This should allow you to put someone in a cage in the room, lock the door (or use a flood gate if you are worried about lock pickers), release them from their cage, drop the support out and have the dust push them off the platform, down a Z level, and into weapon traps loaded with whips. This should let you also "question" those who are immune to your weapon traps normally.  The door on Z-1 is to access the person once you are done with your fun and the door on Z+1 is for reconstructing the floor piece making the room of pain resetable.

A few questions:

1. How many whips should I load into each trap?  I was thinking 10 whips but it might just depend on how many I have on hand from the Orks.
2. Will the stun last long enough for them to fall the Z level and start to get ripped apart by the whip traps?
3. If the whips manage to deal enough damage to the subject will they end up fainting from blood loss and being subjected to the room of pain a second time if they are friendly dwarfs or tree hugging hippies?

Thank you for all of the help and if you have any suggestions to make this room even better (water, magma, ect) feel free to throw it out there!
The elves have hidden mind control mechanisms (wooden ones) in the brains of the zombie animals.
At the flick of a switch, the animals will become mindless killing machines and every single dwarf in your fortress will be hunted down and eaten. With a side dish of +plump helmet roast+.

Butcher the animals before it's too late!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Torture Pit design sound?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:09:41 pm »

1. a single whip will allow them to survive longest.
2. yes.
3. yes.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:20:14 pm »

suggestions to make this room even better

Design a system that, after imprisoning your special friend, fills every square of it to 4/7 with water and drops in carp, one by one.

Bonus points if you rig up some kind of support+floor system to knock them all out and retrieve the prisoner at a moment's notice, as a multi-carp pool would probably just be a slow execution device.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

4lph4w0lf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:39:50 pm »

Appreciate the feedback.  Another question since I am fairly new at this: How often to weapon traps jam?  I figure 1 whip in each trap and around 13 traps set up even if one jams then another one will be there to take care of business.
The elves have hidden mind control mechanisms (wooden ones) in the brains of the zombie animals.
At the flick of a switch, the animals will become mindless killing machines and every single dwarf in your fortress will be hunted down and eaten. With a side dish of +plump helmet roast+.

Butcher the animals before it's too late!

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:44:43 pm »

According to the wiki, they have a 20% chance of jamming every time they are triggered.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 04:01:16 pm »

Build an oubliette! Just drop them down maybe 3 Z levels at the most. Enough to injure but not to kill. No escape. You can build some spike traps at the bottom of the tiny pit for if you need to do some "housecleaning", but it would be at the bottom of your dungeon where you'd drop prisoners into the pit. Then let them go insane and berserk.

Merchant deathmatch!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 07:42:31 pm »

I made a pit of horrors once. I had undead creatures in it and I put chains at the top. These chains were used for justice and any enemy prisoners i threw into the pit. If the fall didn't kill them - the skeletal trolls did.

This whole thing barely worked though.  ;D Dwarves got scared to death by walking next to the pit because of the undead fiends. This led to dwarves failing to throw captives in the pit and the captives thus breaking free and terrorize my fortress. Also the prisoners had their food and water interrupted so often that several died of malnutrition. Depression was a fact as well since miasma from the zombies rose from the pit and filled the room.

And babies threw themselves into it too. Just for the heck of it.

I'm writing this so you can become inspired.  ;) If you can catch a zombie of some kind you can easily construct a miasma generator!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.