Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garbage eating pets and other ideas.  (Read 2788 times)

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Garbage eating pets and other ideas.
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:30:38 am »

Most of the things I have thought of as suggestions have already been suggested elsewhere but I thought of something today which I think is a bit different.

I've got in the habit of assigning a few dorfs to do nothing but refuse collection. It occured to me though wouldn't it be cool if there was a type of creature you could tame and breed that went around your fort eating garbage in the same way that cats run around eating vermin? This trait could make them a very valuable resource, perhaps they only occur in certain environments, most likely subterranean. Possibilites include some kind of blind, subterranean mole like creature, some kind of worm like creature or even a sentient gelatinous blob or cube. Perhaps the untamed versions of these could even provide a challenge by being something of  a nuisance, eating your valuable goods and the occasional unfortunate dorf for his tasty clothing and trinkets. Extending the idea further perhaps there could be creatures that eat stone, metal or gems? Even including objects made of those materials. Tame versions could be kept for disposing of unwanted stone or other material surplus. They could even provide an amusing way to dispose of captured goblins - ceremoniously wrap a goblin in fine armour and jewelry then release him into a pit as an offering to the mighty Cube! Then your dorfs can watch and laugh as he gets slowly dissolved inside a semi-transparent goop.

Some other ideas I had that I'd like to see or have already been mentioned I would just like to add my vote for:

-temporary scaffolding
-bird/reptilian livestock & egg production as food source
-beasts of burden useable to pull wagons and ploughs
-donkeys and horses able to breed to produce mules
-wagons and barges for transporting large quantities of resources over great distance
-ploughs to help speed up farming
-beasts of burden can be assigned to a quernstone to operate it and can operate other mechanisms where watermills and windmills cannot be built.
-possibility to produce railway system for mining carts - movement of resources
-ability to assign animal only or dorf only meeting points
-manufacture of gunpowder - the game already contains saltpeter, one of the ingredients of gunpowder; perhaps gunpowder could be used for advanced siege engines (cannons and bombards), arquebus' for dorfs and most importantly, rapid but dangerous mining.
-oil could be extraced from the earth as a resource and used for a variety of purposes; most notably flammable throwing pots and other incendiary ammo, and of course siege defense where lava is absent.
- ability for dorfs to construct Golems

I'm sure I had other ideas but I've temporarily forgotten them. Might post some more in here later as and when I remember.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:01:35 am by Spong »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Garbage eating pets and other ideas.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 11:21:05 am »

I quite like it!!! All of your ideas and needs

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 11:24:59 am »

Not entirely subterranean, I would think.

Or else I'd just add the tag to dogs, myself.  And raccoons.
I don't care if they really IRL eat it.  The point is making them get into it!
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:52:59 pm »

Initialy I thought this was about a kind of trash that would go around and eat all the pets in your fortress  :-\

Anyway, omnivores that are less picky about what they eat, like dogs, racoons and pigs, could help. they won't eat rock of course, at least not till  the magic arc comes.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:50:11 pm »

Initialy I thought this was about a kind of trash that would go around and eat all the pets in your fortress  :-\

Considering it's Dwarf Fortress, I would not be the least bit surprised if something like that comes along in a future version.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:47:45 am »

Branching from your idea: Maybe a [SCAVENGER] tag that makes something go through your trash, eating things like rotting meat but strewing everything else all over the countryside.
Meh.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 06:05:39 pm »

Goats should have this ability. They eat just about everything, and are supposedly often used as living, four-legged garbage disposal machines, eating whatever edibles humans throw away.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Two-legged rhino lizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 09:14:28 pm »

Different kind of wildlife should have different levels of what they eat. Some things can eat food lying around, while other things could eat clothes (or even anvils?).

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 12:08:50 am »

I think that bears drink beer. And there's one other thing...
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 05:07:15 am »

I often hear of dogs being really fond of beer

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 11:01:45 am »

Pig did that : they were pretty much garbage processors that you can eat. They eat meat, vegetable, even if rotten, small animals, and pretty much everything else. I've seen, in estern europe, a pig eating a trabant's carcass.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 07:27:44 pm »

I meant in-game bears steal and drink beer.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 06:28:57 pm »

They all scavengers need to be tamed pets, racoons and ravens could cluster around rotting food, scaring away dwarves and taking away from your efficiency.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 09:19:53 pm »

Sig'd.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.