Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Genning Adv. Parameters  (Read 822 times)

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Genning Adv. Parameters
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:51:07 pm »

So, I've been wondering about some of the finer points of world genning:

Minimum ___, Maximum ___, ___ X-Variance, ___ Y-Variance; how do you use these, and exactly do they do? My guess is that you can use them to set up "equator" like areas, so that certain bands of the world share similar properties. However, it doesn't seem to present itself on the map, so I may be wrong.

Secondly, meshes. Again, what do they do, and how do you use them? I understand how the weighting works (with ratios and such), but what's the difference between, say, 2x2 and 4x4?
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: World Genning Adv. Parameters
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 01:08:41 am »

I'm not an experienced worldgenner, but Minimum__ and Maximum__ decide the minimum/maximum amount of, say, volcanism over the world. If the minimum is too high, or the maximum is too low, however, certain features and biomes will not appear. For example, if you set rainfall to have a minimum of about 50, the worldgen will whine at you for not being able to place enough deserts and wastelands.

CompletelySerious

• Bay Watcher
  • Citizen Snips!
    • View Profile
Re: World Genning Adv. Parameters
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 01:21:33 am »

I think the X/Y Variance has more to do with the change over the the map whole. Like high Y Variance on temperature will make the temperature changes more gradual going north-south along the map. I haven't really played around with them much though.

As for the meshes, I always just figured that it was the size of the brush. 2x2 means those high volcanism squares you weighted in will come 2x2 and so on. But I could be completely wrong about that.
You win this round, magma.