Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Above or below ground?  (Read 3010 times)

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
Re: Above or below ground?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 11:29:26 pm »

I build above-ground towns, with warrens of streets. Incredibly inefficient, but I like the look of it. It's cool to watch the town grow, with walkways linking the roofs of some houses making room for more constructions until some streets end up underground.

So...you're basically recreating Old London before the fires?  :P
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 12:46:47 am »

I build above-ground towns, with warrens of streets. Incredibly inefficient, but I like the look of it. It's cool to watch the town grow, with walkways linking the roofs of some houses making room for more constructions until some streets end up underground.

That probably has some interesting results during a siege or an ambush.  They probably have to target a specific building.  Civilian dwarves would be running every which way, probably away from the town.  The attackers would have to chase down each dwarf individually as opposed to herding them all deeper underground.  Could be an effective strategy if you have a large enough military.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 01:56:57 am »

I usually decide a general 'theme' for the fortress before I embark and go from there.

Even when I'm building above ground I don't have any hard rules about making it that way entirely though - for the first year at least I'll generally dig a food storage room and barracks into an out of the way hill somewhere and have my dwarves live out of that until I've got a little castle for them to move into. (Usually not a moment too soon as by that time the sandy hole they were living in is a fantastically cluttered mess.)

Tombs are usually underground, pretty much all of my buildings have a one-level basement for storage, and of course I set up a mining operation somewhere for building materials and just for that sense of proper dwarfiness. I try to make them an actual maze of tunnels and not usable rooms, though I'm not adverse to slapping down a coffin for anybody useless (like this migrant child I just lost that immediately upon arrival ran across half the map to play with a fire imp, I mean wtf kid?  ???
Pages: 1 [2]