Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: (Megaproject) The Bridge...to Nowhere  (Read 2233 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: (Megaproject) The Bridge...to Nowhere
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 03:37:14 pm »

Bah! Build the bridge out of steel! That is what a real dwarf would do!
I thought of that. However, though dwarfy, when using wood and stone, I can double their use for carpenter and masons shops. There is no magma on this map and aquifiers.

Build the bridge out of an aquifer then!

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 03:57:57 pm »

I like this idea.

I'm going to try the bridge-city idea, but I'll have migrants allowed, what's the point of a city without an expendable labor force to live in it?

Now I just have to decide whether I want to keep it around to explore in adventure mode or if the king should pull a lever once I'm done.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 05:28:07 pm »

Mine is literally an island in a bay (in world view), so its only connection to the world is via the bridge I'm building. I'm not going to collapse it, just abandon it when I feel sufficiently done.

Also, the point of no immigrants is to NOT allow expansion, but to make the challenge to make the bridge (of several thousand pieces) with seven laborers. Of course when I'm done I'm going to turn on migrants! Large labor for the win. However, I think that they all are going to do one of several things. Fishers, builders (masons/carpenters), haulers or my military.

My plan is to build an seaside castle, but the gatehouses will be the bridge entrances and the walls, the freshwater lake. The keep and city will be bridging off the main bridge which is five tiles thick. And keeping with the castle theme, there will be a large amount of soldiers. Because of aquifers, I already use above ground plants. However, there IS flux on this map, so eventually mining projects will be done.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 10:21:17 am »

Should do it in an environment where the water freezes in winter, and is thawed any other time, and just dig out ice to use for materials, and build the entire thing out of water.

I want to do this so badly, now.
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 05:32:16 pm »

The bridge is halfway done. The gatehouse and wall on anchor side are getting completed. I am running a little low on stones. New immigrant, a fish dissector who went directly to become my clerk... Good thing I had one extra room.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.
Pages: 1 [2]