Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Conquest of Elysium 2  (Read 2647 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Elysium 2
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 04:03:20 am »

They didn't attack my citadel, but why the hell did I lose control of a town... did the deer take over, head to the meadhall and drink blood from the skulls of my townspeople to terrify them from continuing our current relations?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 02:13:33 am »

Well, this is moderately entertaining. Unfortunately, it also has shit controls and no real strategy other than "have more troops and/or bullshit overpowered gods". You can't really outsmart the ai because about 90% of its moves seem completely random with a mild preference for taking all your towns in a single turn. It doesn't show you when all your towns are taken in a single turn. Presumably by deer. The factions and characters are nearly identical, with only a handful of random, imbalanced special units, and despite random maps it's still repetitive as fuck all.

It's still kind of fun, given it's fast paced and its only learning curve comes from just getting a vague idea what secret-and-completely-unmentioned-shit-random-units-do/even-fucking-are. But even before that after that the whole fucking time it's just spam soldiers at everything, with as many daemons/golems/whatever thrown in as possible.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 04:49:55 am »

Tried it, not my cup o tea...  combat favors the defender due to auto first strike.  Flying is win in any formation since they 'might' take out enemy magic users....

And for me, the game ended up becoming defend my lands from the deer and brigands and merchants...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 05:11:51 am »

Oh god those fucking merchants. The cash is nice, but killing them usually costs more than you gain in casualties.

I steamrolled everything with a daemonologist, then again with an enchanter, then a priestess of baal, then managed a victory with a cardinal of el. Tried a few others and lost spectacularly do to lack of hilarious bullshit units. Currently playing a senator, steamrolled two factions with cohort spam, couldn't find the other until the end game where they have an army with three fucking swamp gods and some other similarly bullshit units. I've tried taking it out with army costing well over a thousand gold, with over a hundred units (mixed between archers and cohorts, with a wizard in the back), and only managed to take out the weakest units. >:|
I have no superunits, so I'm fucked, although I suppose at this point the only thing to do is barrel around and try to take their citadel while that army randomly moves back and forth accomplishing nothing because lol AI.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 12:22:28 pm »

There are always ways. For instance, witches are particularily vulnerable to prolonged winters, since they dont get any fungus for extra summons. You might try that
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 10:26:20 pm »

After having played this for a few weeks, i think it is an interesting concept.
But from what i played i see a real fault in the combat system, because it will always give the 1st hit to the defending army.

In a game based on conquering and defeating enemies, i think it was not the best choice in the combat rule design.
They should have based this on some kind of "initiative" value from some units of the army stack, or depending on the terrain (forts) to determine which from attacker or defender would attack first.
In front of this flaw, it makes the battle not really interesting.

I have only played the Dominions 2 demo for some time back in its day, and i think despite CoE2 is very light in term of possibilities in front of it, there is a lot of potentials in its gameplay that seem more "personnal".
The concept reworked in various of the gameplay features could be very interesting.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:28:47 pm by Robsoie »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 12:29:11 am »

Yeah, Dominions was made as a more advanced version of CoE. I've been playing CoE2 from the days when they announced that they were working on Dominions 1. Dominions a lot more "realistic", but I still prefer CoE for quick fun :P

First hit does give you a significant advantage in defense, but it's certainly not everything. You just have to design your army to have a few people who can take the blow of the first round. E.g. tougher melee front line units, and more of them.

Lol, I dunno, I see it as something to consider, so my tactics automatically take it into account. It reminds me of when a friend refuses to play Disciples or Age of Wonders because he insists that the combat is "too random".
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 12:55:11 am »

you know, I'd love to have dominions combat system (or even a castrated version of it) in CoE. Would add to it the strategic dimension it lacks at the moment.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 09:32:04 am »

Love CoE2, I use to worship that game back in the day.

Gotta disagree with you on Necromancers being hard though, as soon as you get even one of those tree-looking Beasts of something, you destroy armys in short order.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 10:22:03 am »

Right, but actually getting one of those is a bit tricky.  And you have to keep up the chaff summons, or else the flesh heap will gettoo many attacks and will splatter before it can do any damage.

However, if you can transform into a lich...   Then it's game over.  Gotta love having sustained sanity.

Demonologists can also be pretty damn nasty, but you have to watch the double tax whammy.  I tend to go more for sacrifices than gold, but that's mainly because I like enforcing the uniqueness of each character.

However, you can shred most early combatants with just a single lesser demon.  Once you've got a good greater demon, then the bigger armies start worrying.

Once you've got an army of hellhounds, then it's maniacal laughter time.

I don't have much experience with the demon lords however...  I think I only ever managed to summon a goat sun.  Which, by the way, I rank at just about the same level as the Baalite messenger of the gods...   

And by that I mean "pretty damn useless, unless it's a commander or you need to defend a city".

As for the swamp creatures, there's almost no way you can take on witches with melee fighters (unless you take them out early or something).  Swamp creatures tend to have a lot of hitpoints and a lot of smashiness, not to mention great numbers (bullywugs, toads).  However, they all have pretty damn poor magic resistance.

Still though...  Good luck fighting back swamp gods with only a few recruited wizards.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 02:27:22 am »

Nah, flesh heaps are kinda easy to get. Just go to a graveyard/battlefield. Don't do it in cities and cannibal villages :P They're not really that strong, though, just enough to help you get into the cities and haunted castles.

Demon lords are just plain awesome. One of the best thing about demonologist is to just get to the point where you can see them. I think I summoned a prince of something years ago, and he managed to capture the enemy's main citadel with only a few spearmen (even with the opponent's defensive advantage). He had plenty of hit points, summoning spells that put your demonologist to shame, and quite some few mass destruction ones.

I'm more afraid of the demon lord turning against you when you first summon him, tho :P

Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 05:10:21 am »

Which is why I always use a larger sacrifice when summoning the lords.  Costs a heck of a lot more, but that extra security helps.

But then, of course, there's the option of sacrificing your demonologist instead...   Just do a 0 sacrifice summoning of a demon lord in some place you happen to want a demon lord.

Kinda pricey since you can't really get apprentices (just those cultists who are rather disturbingly unhelpful at times), and if you could then you could just use them instead of your main guy.
Pages: 1 [2]