Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Figurine card game: Pre-start  (Read 1106 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Figurine card game: Pre-start
« on: February 06, 2010, 12:11:31 pm »

That's right. You read right. I just made a figurine card game. The setting will be the Age of Wonders game. For now at least. Please remember that I made the idea, so don't steal please. With the exception of Pox Nora and Bakugan, and a couple others, as they are very close to my game. The game will be here, I will make the figurines and cards. Then I have the ambition of actually selling the product and making money off of it with a totally different fantasy flavor. So please show mercy internet. I know that somebody will take my ideas anyway :P.
This isn't my first game actually. Still remember Roman emperors by inaluct? I actually made working rules for that.

Important stuff:
I made the rules, but I feel they're kinda messed up in the writing part at least. And you know, if a rule is broken it will need fixing. Please help me in clarification of the rules.

Rules:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please let me know what you think. Cards coming right up.

What I like about this is that this needs no GM. Two players can play this in programs used for tabletop games. Because of that this game will have no forum slugishness. We'll get probably a whole tournament a week.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:59:30 pm by Rooster »

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Figurine card game: Pre-start
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:46:36 pm »

Reserved just in case

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 04:20:58 pm »

In.

LackeyCCG could be used for the card aspect of things, but how you'd be able to do the models on it I have no idea.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:27:55 pm »

Lackey CCG is really cool. I'll probably use him to bring Roman Emperors: gotta cath em all into life.
But what I'll do is make the game just like pox nora. An internet multiplayer game. Then I'll release the real counterpart, with printed cards, figurines and such, but it will probably be in the far future.

I made a mistake in design. I tried to make figurines represent a race. Big mistake in this game.
Figurines showing a generic orc:
a) are not flavorfull, therefore awkward
b) limit my design space and make the game short lived.

I'll change that in the future to make figurines represent a group.
Another mistake was that I wanted to use humanoids only. Big mistake. I lose 80% of fantasy creatures, and atributes. I could give atribute "spear" to a human, but I would lose things like "bite", that a wolf could use.

Another thing that is important and some people may have found out by now. This game has no element of random. On Lackey CCG site they put the importance of random. as it gives each player fair chances at all times. I even eliminated shuffling, and moved it to optional. When you consider that, shuffling is sometimes the only element of random in some games. What makes games enjoyable is the ability to turn it upside down at any time. I'll have to design cards for tommorow really carefully. I remember that it was very unfun in Dwarf: the hammering that winning was determined by what you got in your opening hand, but it will be even a greater mistake to not let weak players win at least sometimes. I'll have to figure something out.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 09:02:08 pm »

Sounds interesting, a couple of things about ordering:
 When the 2 speed critter gets 10 speed the turn ends and the critter goes twice. Did the turn end because of the speed change resetting the order, or if there had been a speed 1 critter would it have gone between the speed 2 critter's turns?
 If your speed is higher than everyone else's, speed increases cease to have any value. they can be discarded obviously, but you may want to include some speed and/or order based abilities, or abilities that expend speed, in order to maintain some advantages to increasing speed to absurd levels.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 06:16:04 am »

It's like this:
speed 2 makes a move
speed 1 makes a move gets +2 speed
*end of turn*
speed 1+2 makes a move
speed 2 makes a move.

Yeah I thought about that also. I might just drop the whole 1 tile per turn and instead go for a tried method of speed/2 moving. But then diagonal movement would count as 1.5

Yeah, I'll change it to that.

Also, I might make 1vs1 not the default, but a 6vs6 fight.
I figured that board games, and war games that give you only one character are kind of un-fun.
Now it will matter to make all of your characters to work well with each other.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 02:28:14 pm »

I analysed this for a while and found out that it ain't gonna happen.
I like it, but it's too much of a spin off to the card games genre to work.
However, I have 2 new ideas for card games, and I think I'll make a new thread with a poll to let people decide which one is better and go develop that.