Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure plate usage  (Read 812 times)

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressure plate usage
« on: February 08, 2010, 11:23:06 pm »

I want to have a pressure plate that closes a floodgate when it has 1-7 levels of water on it and opens when no water is on it. However, right now it does the opposite. Any way I can correct that?
puppywhirrrrrrl

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure plate usage
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 12:19:50 am »

Use a 1-tile drawbridge. Or, set the pressure plate to trigger on 0-0 water.

The problem is that levers and pressure plates very specifically send an "on" message when they're activated, and an "off" message when they're deactivated. All connectable buildings except gear assemblies, in turn, have very specific reactions to "on" and "off" messages. Floodgates open with an "on" message and close with an "off" message, so when the plate triggers (on message) the 'gate opens.

The solutions I mentioned work for the following reasons. Drawbridges raise, becoming pseudo-walls that block liquids, when given an "on" message and lower when given an "off" message. They also have a 100-step delay, just like floodgates, so if you link a floodgate and a drawbridge to the same lever, one path will always be open and the other always closed as the two buildings switch which is blocking and non-blocking. The changed pressure plate works because it changes the conditions for the on/off messages. That one should be fairly obvious.

Unfortunately, for either solution you'll have to deconstruct something, since you can't just "reset" pressure plates, so neither is really easier.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure plate usage
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:33:21 am »

Ohhh, I see. I'm just gonna go with the floodgate/drawbridge method, as the pressure plate was just a workaround for not having switchable floodgates. Thanks!
puppywhirrrrrrl