Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cool thing I stumbled on.  (Read 1025 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cool thing I stumbled on.
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:08:09 pm »

Now I don't think many of you are going to like it. But here it is anyway.
http://codefromthe70s.org/poke.aspx
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cheat-in-every-computer-game-with-poke/

Basically like that second link says, you can cheat in every single computer game that has been made or is going to be made ever. Forever.

It goes into the RAM and finds the game data and you change the values to what you like. Basically It can go into any process open.

I'm about to try it on Ivan in a bit to see how good it is, but either way it's free.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool thing I stumbled on.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:21:03 pm »

Sorry, but if I'm not mistaken there are at least a dozen apps which exist exactly for this purpose (see Cheat Engine, etc). They're really neither new nor interesting, unless this one does something special.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:23:50 pm »

It's a hex editor? I'm still learning how memory values work, but it should be simple enough
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:26:51 pm »

Pretty much. It finds addresses in the RAM being used by the process you've selected via filtering, and gives you the option to narrow down searches until you find the exact address you want, then lets you edit it.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 12:37:44 pm »

Sorry, but if I'm not mistaken there are at least a dozen apps which exist exactly for this purpose (see Cheat Engine, etc). They're really neither new nor interesting, unless this one does something special.
Hey, I just stumbled on it. I never knew there was more of them.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:42:09 pm »

Apologies. I was only suggesting that it might be worth searching around before posting about something like this.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 12:50:11 pm »

Basically like that second link says, you can cheat in every single computer game that has been made or is going to be made ever. Forever.
Not it multiplayer, because you'll go out of synch.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 06:37:02 pm »

*Wonders why anyone would want to cheat beyond seeing bonus cheat content.*
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 06:54:26 pm »

*Wonders why anyone would want to cheat beyond seeing bonus cheat content.*
*Wonders why someone would post such a wondering post.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 06:57:58 pm »

I used to do this kind of tinkering on the ZSNES cheat maker. Managed to find cheats for games I couldn't find cheats for (pro-acttion replay/game genie, legitimate cheats/codes that came with the game).

I managed to start Zelda 3 with just about everything, or at least the gold sword and silver arrows with the bow (along with 999+ stuff, including life). That was pretty fun. Haven't modded the chickens to 1-shot swarm (hit it once, and the chicken swarm happens) yet.

I also tried to replace the Blackjack with the Flacon in FF3, and vice-versa. The best I got was turning it into a bird that doesn't flap it's wings. On that note, I have yet to replace the Dactyl sprites into Epochs and vice-versa.

I think the easiest cheats have to be invulnerability cheats. But yeah, live hacking a game is the true 'God Mode'. Now, if you can just toss things in and out whenever you want like in Garry's Mod.

That ought to be the next step; if you can Garry-mod games as you play them. Now that's a challenge.

Closest to that I recall is the Sonic games' debug mode.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:13:31 pm by Itnetlolor »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 09:29:48 pm »

To truely be able to Gmod a game would requite an intricate understanding of internal coding, so that you can emulate the creation of an object.

In programming terms, emulate malloc() fast enough that the change is finished before a segfault can occur.

(Though if my vague understanding of malloc() is correct, you could just reserve the memory at a safe moment and then fill it in at a leisurely pace, before finally editing a pointer to merge your new object into the game.)
Eh?
Eh!

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:49:29 pm »

Cheat engine is a popular hex editor for cheating games. The thing has tutorials built in and a supportive community. It's interesting, but I'm not big on cheating.

http://www.cheatengine.org/