Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reliquary  (Read 1959 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Reliquary
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 05:44:47 pm »

I don't really understand the bit about tombs just being another way to screw up. Building a good necropolis is always a good time for me. The flavor is engaging, as this isn't the temporary living space of a minor official, but the eternal monument of a great leader(unless I hate the guy, in which case it's a garbage dump--still gratifying though). The potential problems for screwing it up are generally less severe, as pathing to a tomb isn't a major issue.

Mechanically good sir, mechanically. Flavor-wise, they're fine. Mechanically, they are a big "Did you allot space/thought for this? If yes, all is well. If no, proceed to tantrum." That's what I mean by them being a failure check. There is no mechanics behind tomb interaction beyond "Did you bury my loved one/Did you give me a big enough tomb?"

And I'd like to see that change.

Personally, I line the entrance hall with the tombs of the great dwarves of the fortress, so that visiting diplomats can see the stately resting places of our forefathers. These are not just gravemarkers, but monuments to the men whose bones are interred within, and to the industry and artifice of the fortress.

That's fine, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to have it that way. You don't need to set a burrow for your crypts if you don't want to. But designating a burrows as a crypts is another flag that the game can play with to generate events. (For example, increasing vermin spawn in crypt-flagged burrows, dead rising ect...)

I don't see how designating a burrow as a crypt would make undeath more likely. In cultures where undeath was considered a problem, proper burial procedures where generally intended to deter it, rather than induce it.

Did you just pull the realism card on me....in Dwarf Fortress? Is it not also a possibility that people made crypts BECAUSE they feared undeath and wanted it locked behind a door far away from them? Not to mention disease?

If the features get added in, and it still feels like a distinct reliquary object is needed, then we can worry about it.

I agree with this. A Reliquary sounds like the cherry on top of a (more) delicious death cake.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 05:46:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
Re: Reliquary
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 03:30:32 pm »

I just meant that whatever effects graves have shouldn't hinge on the player placing them in a certain type of burrow. It's just a little bit too meta for me, I guess.

Perhaps, the game should be able to figure out that a given burrow is a crypt on it's own. i.e. if the crypt is more than X% tomb, dwarves will think of it as a crypt and gain associated fear and respect.

I don't think that being in a crypt burrow should directly effect what tombs do, only the way dwarves think about them.

Even without a borrow, if a group of tombs being close together has some kind of effect, that effect should have no respect for burrows. If I want separating my tombs to have some kind of effect, I need to separate them physically, not just paint a line down the middle of the district, and declare it to be two different crypts.

A gravekeeper dwarf, who walks through the crypts placating the dead and keeping the tombs maintained, to prevent restless ghosts and grave robbers would be cool, but I'm pretty sure that the core labor/dwarf assignments of the burrow system can support that, without us needing a special flag.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.
Pages: 1 [2]