Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Simple Feminine Forms of Dwarf Names  (Read 4264 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Simple Feminine Forms of Dwarf Names
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 02:00:12 pm »

Armok knows... the names may be the only way they can differentiate sex under all the caked-on mud, vomit, blood covering, water covering, and hair.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 04:16:58 pm »

One could argue that this is totally appropriate for the dwarven culture. Truly, in other fantasy universes as well as in that of DF, there are no differences between the two sexes except that one pops out a baby once in a while. So isn't it perfectly sensible to believe that dwarven language would evolve to make no distinction between males and females?

One certainly could argue that, you're right. And since we would only be arguing perceptions of fantasy worlds, we would get nowhere. However, gender-specific names do feel appropriate for human or elven (or maybe all elves have feminine names, haha) civilizations. If gender specific names, perhaps using the list system, were enabled for these species as a .raw level, moddable feature, one could easilly enable or disable dwarven gender-specific names by either modifying the dwarven .raw tokens or even flipping a .init value to enable a default list. I seem to recall dwarf-maiden beards will be handled that way, although I could be wrong.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 12:51:03 am »

Am I the only one who actually enjoys having female dwarves indistinguishable from males?  Not because I like bearded women, but I think it's a unique feature of the DF universe.

Even though aesthetically I'd love to keep all of the names unisex, there's functionality to consider with engendering the names - though to be honest, I can't think of much.  It might be useful if you're trying a no-migrant challenge and need to quickly keep track of your available males and females for repopulating the fort, but considering a) this can be more easily achieved by adding a column to the Units screen that displays either a male or female symbol, and b) this challenge can only be feasibly achieved after modding the raws, there doesn't appear to be a need.

By the way, converting "Urist" to "Uri" could cause real-life confusion.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 02:51:09 pm »

There's no such thing as a dwarven female, new dwarves just pop out of the ground ;D
Pages: 1 [2]