Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any good Sci-fi games?  (Read 1288 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any good Sci-fi games?
« on: January 30, 2010, 01:56:52 am »

Any of you know any sci-fi games[set in space] that have randomly generated quests/missions/maps and so on that you could recommend? Preferably 4x as well-Also, i prefer a game that let's you colonize planets[and if possible, zoom in for a planetary view].

Anyway, any suggestions?

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any good Sci-fi games?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 02:01:24 am »

Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 02:39:52 am »

Escape Velocity: Nova is pretty kick ass sci fi game, with six main story lines and several dozen side stories. Plenty of ships, with no wrong way to play the game. Your not forced to play in the story lines, and can continue to play after the story lines are completed.

You can be a shroud trader, pirate free lance cargo hauler or ferry. Go off and have fun mining astriods. Go bounty hunting. If you feel fairly badass, demand tribute from entire planets and face their HUGE defense force, if you live you get several thousand dollars a day.

It has an active mod community for the Max port, and a growing one for the window port with I think a few utility to convert them.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 07:36:28 am »

Any of you know any sci-fi games[set in space] that have randomly generated quests/missions/maps and so on that you could recommend? Preferably 4x as well-Also, i prefer a game that let's you colonize planets[and if possible, zoom in for a planetary view].

Anyway, any suggestions?
Aren't all space 4x games like that besides the quest/mission part?

As far as non-4x games go, Space Rangers 2 definately. Semi-random quests (semi since they're sometimes based on how the war goes) as well as text-based adventures ranging from surviving in prison to making a successful ski resort within some time frame. Also contains an RTS subgame for planetary surface combat, but I found it pretty bland.

There's also Star Fleet 2, which was pretty robust for its time. Initially you were tasked with entering some randomly generated sector and finding enough colonizable planets in some limited time. With each mission, this eventually evolved into playing negotiator with non-aligned aliens, fighting off starfleet ships (you're actually fighting against them in SF2), sending boarding parties and finally wide-scale planetary invasion, which was a game of its own and later was re-released as a spin-off called Star Legions.

Only problem is getting it to run appropriately. Last I played it basically froze every time I got attacked, I suppose due to bad pc speaker emulation or something.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 10:06:21 am »

You could try trascendence. Its sort of a roguelike in space
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 01:29:08 pm »

How do i get Space Rangers 2? Is it abandoneware? Or did some corporation [ie. GOG, Steam, etc.] take it up and selling it for 2-5 USD?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 02:20:29 pm »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 08:05:18 pm »

YEY I JUST BOUGHT IT!

WOOO!