Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bigger message window  (Read 1067 times)

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bigger message window
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

Lots of room in the bottom of DF window. Could we please have 10 line scrolling buffer there instead of one-line right now that is shared with status bar?
I'll immediately donate $100 when it's released  :cool:
tail -f -n 10 df_27_176_38a/gamelog.txt

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: bigger message window
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 03:02:00 am »

You should donate the cash for the sake of donating, since I don't think Toady cares if you hold donations hostage.

Personally, I'm not quite sure what you're asking for.   Please elaborate a bit?  Maybe draw an MSpaint?

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:00:00 am »

You get all these messages in the bottom of the window. If there would be a scrollable buffer then it would be very useful an you wouldn't have to press 'a' all the time to review the announcements.

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:03:00 am »

Sofware bounties are quite common in open-source world and I can't see why it shouldn't apply to closed-source stuff.
LQWiki - Software bounty

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

Wouldn't manually scrolling through lines of text be more time consuming than just pressing "a"?

There is something like that in adventurer mode though, but every time the messages exceed... five? It gets extremely annoying since it covers a good deal of screen real estate.

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »

quote:
It gets extremely annoying since it covers a good deal of screen real estate.

That wouldn't be a problem if the window size was increased vertically.  There's already a lot of unused space in the vertical direction.

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>Wouldn't manually scrolling through lines of text be more time consuming than just pressing "a"?

There is something like that in adventurer mode though, but every time the messages exceed... five? It gets extremely annoying since it covers a good deal of screen real estate.</STRONG>

you wouldn't need to scroll or press anythinh if you have more than one line. "a" key could alternatively launch the message window full-screen.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>Wouldn't manually scrolling through lines of text be more time consuming than just pressing "a"?</STRONG>

Do you know what scrolling means?  A new message pops up at the bottom and PUSHES THE TOP ONE OFF!  You know, like IM windows.  Those scroll don't they?  You know, manually?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »

What's with all the hostility? =/

Granted, I might have misread the OP's intentions (even though you guys completely misread mine) but I still think it's rather redundant to have several lines of text jarring your view at the bottom (which currently does take up screen real estate) when a simple keypress solves all problems.

I don't know about you, but a huge number of announcements are entirely ignorable:

"Dwarf X cancels job: item misplaced or destroyed"

And even if you created specific window space just for announcements, what's going to happen when there aren't any? A big empty space? Space with words that you don't really want to be distracted by?

code:

-------------------------
x
x
x
Actual game space
x
x
text
text
text
text
text
text
text
text

Like that? Then what about the people who prefer to use smaller windows to multitask while playing? They don't want to have to have that extra 300 pixels taking up space.

If Toady wants to implement this to get $100, well, there's no problem. Just that there has to be a way to either disable it or go back the way it was for the minimalist and the ones who don't care about every minutae of their dwarves' lives.

EDIT: oh, and Draco. There's a difference between "scrolling" and "scrollable". The OP wanted a SCROLLABLE message bar at the bottom, to which I responded: "Why would you want to SCROLL THROUGH messages when you can just press "a"?" Read it up.

[ January 31, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »

Who cares about screen real-estate anyway? Hook up another monitor or three :D

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile