Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends, frozen to death  (Read 1145 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Legends, frozen to death
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:44:39 pm »

I was just wondering - do creatures ever freeze to death during worldgen?  I recently messed around with worldgen parameters and accidentally made a world that was so cold my dwarves died a few seconds after embarking, but I didn't see any reports of people freezing to death in Legends mode.  Does it ever happen?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
Re: Legends, frozen to death
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:00:17 pm »

I don't think so. In legends mode it assumes that creatures are smart enough to avoid going somewhere they'll freeze to death. In practice, this is not always the case.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:10:23 pm »

I know for a fact that creatures certainly don't burn to death during world-gen ... as I made a nice world where the air temperature was hot enough to boil water. I just wanted to see what a boiled-out ocean would look like.

And what does it look like? Like a regular above-ground place, but with lots of steam. And then you go blind. And your waterskin boils.

So... temperature doesn't effect world-gen, by the sounds of it, aside from designating terrain types.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 09:56:19 pm »

Yeah, the temperature only affects the creatures when you actually play. Then everyone will start taking damage all over their bodies until they bleed to death.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:01:32 pm »

Funny how being frozen and being set on fire are, for all intents and purposes, identical in Dwarf Fortress.
Sanity is for the weak.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 09:36:56 am »

Bummer.  :(
I wanted to make a world where all the elves froze to death in the first couple years.  Oh well, they still managed to attract all the megabeasts.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 09:45:33 am »

Funny how being frozen and being set on fire are, for all intents and purposes, identical in Dwarf Fortress.
Fire can spread, with makes for hilariously Fun times once unattended booze becomes involved.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 10:16:52 am »

Worldgen has a nasty habit of ignoring...well...reality.  The DF laws of physics, limited as they may be, are ignored during worldgen.  Ever walk into an adventurer town and see a temple mysteriously collapse into nothing the moment you arrive?  Ever embark and watch the watch a mountain immediately disappear into a bottomless pit?  Ever see the bug where the game puts a volcano on top of a bottomless pit? :D  That's all stuff that should  have happened immediately that worldgen just kindof ignores until there's a player around to watch it.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:23:31 am »

Since freezing to death doesn't have a mention in Legends, does getting frozen within ice net you a mention under "Dumbass"?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 02:34:42 pm »

Worldgen has a nasty habit of ignoring...well...reality.  The DF laws of physics, limited as they may be, are ignored during worldgen.  Ever walk into an adventurer town and see a temple mysteriously collapse into nothing the moment you arrive?  Ever embark and watch the watch a mountain immediately disappear into a bottomless pit?  Ever see the bug where the game puts a volcano on top of a bottomless pit? :D  That's all stuff that should  have happened immediately that worldgen just kindof ignores until there's a player around to watch it.

For obvious reasons, if the game actually tried to simulate geographical features and such during worldgen it would take 100x longer.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325