Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sewers, Detritus and Vermin  (Read 715 times)

Ursca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sewers, Detritus and Vermin
« on: April 04, 2007, 11:20:00 am »

I couldn't find much suggested about this when I searched, so here goes;

With the advent of the Z-axis,  making water systems is going to be a lot easier.
My suggestion is to include a buildable 'privy' that dwarves will use, and deposit detritus onto an empty space on the level below. Obviously this will cause miasma given time, so a refuse hauling dwarf would need to move it outside or dump it in the chasm or river.
Enterprising players would probably use running water to safely flush the detritus away, and that would  make things a little more interesting by giving amphibious enemies a way to infiltrate your fortress, so sewer guards or filtering systems would be needed.

Some other related ideas;

• A  more interesting role for vermin - rats could feed on refuse and food. Sewers then could make rats a major problem. This would make cats more useful, or give the player the opportunity to assign dwarves to full time rat-catching duties (trappers).
  • Sewage could make water dirty. Obviously, you don't want your dwarves drinking dirty water.
  • Sewage could be used as fertiliser for fields (giving bad thoughts to the unfortunate manure-shovelling dwarves) or could be left to compost, which would do the same but without the bad thoughts.

What does everyone think? It would cause a bit more micro-management, but that's what the game's all about. It would also give more uses to features that are already in the game. (Vermin, Cats, Trappers, Guards, Refuse haulers and Miasma.)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sewers, Detritus and Vermin
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 11:55:00 am »

I suggesested something like that a few month ago. At that time people were not that found of the idea.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »

quote:
It would cause a bit more micro-management, but that's what the game's all about.

Slap. Slap. Slap.

I like the idea of sewers; I like the idea of them polluting water, provided the dwarves are smart enough not to drink there themselves (I don't want to bother with mayor setups to keep them clear of the area).

I very much like the idea that a dwarf could be ambushed from below while taking a shit; however, given the alertness of your average fortress guard, I presume that this will be solved with traps somehow.

Sewage could also be needed for tanning. But frankly, I don't look forward to yet another material I need to produce, keep in stock, haul around and all that stuff. Maybe once hauling is no longer the bottleneck of everything.

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »

Frankly, I think this should be required!

Living underground is unpleasant for the exact reason of the difficulty of waste management.  Besides, it adds realism and using potash for fertilizing isn't very reasonable for a mideival society.

Ursca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 04:43:00 am »

I've just been reading 'future of the fortress' and it seems that the great Toady One has some plans for developing vermin (burrows and such) and disease, both of which would fit in nicely.

And it'd be nice to assign a terrier or something to a trapper. Like a hunting dog, but smaller and quicker.   :)