Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Wood farming improvements  (Read 4184 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Wood farming improvements
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 12:40:00 pm »

German is superior anyway.

Replanting saplings won't be the primary way to replenish your wood supply, although you could probably trade with the Elves to get boatloads of trees ("You want to adopt little baby trees! There's hope for your race after all!"). What interests me most in specific tree replanting is making little 'hedgerows' in my above ground farming complexes, as well as parks, gardens, and other little bits of landscaping. Its not dwarfy at all to let trees grow all willy-nilly out in the open, but if you grow them in surveyor-straight rows up and down the street you can hide your closet nature-loving under the guise of planting forests.

Of course, one can still import trees to plant them and harvest them later. Nothing wrong with that.

PS. On the subject of 'wood farming improvements', minus the 'farming' part, I've always wanted to see sawmills, cutting multiple boards from a trunk and so forth. Is there a thread for that?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 02:33:57 pm »

You might be able to set up a sawmill, but it would be a bit ugly and cheaty

Make a custom reaction in one of the new custom workshops. Have it use 1 piece of wood, and then have it produce 2 pieces of wood. Its like cutting up the wood into smaller and more manageable pieces or something.

However it would also let you have unlimited wood from cutting down just a single tree.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 02:46:01 pm »

Make a custom reaction in one of the new custom workshops. Have it use 1 piece of wood, and then have it produce 2 pieces of wood. Its like cutting up the wood into smaller and more manageable pieces or something.

Have it take in blocks (wood that can't be used for other things) and produce 2 or more planks, which you should be able to tag as a building material for things like walls.

You could then set up another reaction to take in 1 block to produce 1 charcoal (really, why not?) and another to take in X ANY_WOOD items (if you can do that) to make charcoal from anything made of wood--which would let you burn old furniture, planks, etc. and get charcoal and/or ash back.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 02:47:43 pm by Draco18s »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 04:38:07 pm »

I plan on just making a custom workshop with the next release that takes care of wood farming for me.

It would be max size, using the woodcutting skill. It would have a listing of the various types of wood you can produce, everything from oak to tower caps. You can then farm the wood and each task will produce 1 unit of wood of that type in the workshop, which can then be stored there where it will clutter things up, or hauled off to a stockpile somewhere.

There are no in game restrictions on using this of course, but I'd limit myself so if its placed underground it can only produce tower caps. If above ground it will produce only surface trees, and only if the biome fits. No oak trees in the middle of a glacier.

But it would clear up a huge amount of tedium with the wood industry, and anything that removes tedium is awesome.
Pages: 1 2 [3]