Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves Are Morons  (Read 885 times)

groo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves Are Morons
« on: January 26, 2010, 08:02:46 am »

A topic I'm sure has never been broached before!

Just one boneheadedly simple suggestion which would go a long way to staving off the cripplingly aggravating tendency of dwarves to act as stupidly as possible in any given situation: code them a sense of urgency. If a dwarf is eating or drinking and is only mildly hungry or thirsty, or is "on break" or attending a party or whatever and is above a certain threshhold of happiness, and gets asked to do something, let him either drink or eat the last bit quickly or just drop the beer keg or the meal or whatever and go and do it. Only if a dwarf is utterly famished or dehydrated or unhappy should it be impossible to interrupt their eating/drinking/leisure time. Ditto with sleeping if the dwarf isn't tired. This should also apply if they're doing something and their tummy rumbles. If they aren't starving, let them finish what they're damn well doing instead of throwing everything in the air and waddling off to the beer room the split second the urge takes them. In other words, dwarves should eat, drink, sleep and relax when they're only mildly hungry, thirsty, tired or unhappy (or idle) only if they have nothing else to do; if they have tasks to perform then those should take priority until their needs become more severe.

This goes double for when the fort is under siege. Threshholds should dip way down if the fort's under attack, everyone should be on a hair trigger and ready to do whatever it takes to save the fort at a moment's notice. I'm looking at you, squad leader that's too busy sleeping or drinking when a siege begins to haul his ass out of the fort and meet the damn invaders.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Are Morons
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 08:19:30 am »

You should read about the new version. Everything you're talking about (which has irritated all of us I'm sure) has been addresed already by Toady.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:23:26 am »

well, if dwarfs are like me, then the fact that that they are eating means that they already put it off as long as they possible could, and so their current meal is vital to their very survival.

groo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:26:38 am »

I read the dev notes linked at the top of the forum page and searched for eating, drinking and sleeping. Found something about lazy commanders, but nothing about a priority/threshhold system for tasking this stuff over actual jobs.

well, if dwarfs are like me, then the fact that that they are eating means that they already put it off as long as they possible could, and so their current meal is vital to their very survival.

But they aren't like that. Sometimes they run off to eat before they're even considered "hungry" under their wounds box. There's already a scaling system in the game that lets dwarves progress from "hungry" through "starving" and into "dead", and the same for thirstiness and tiredness and happiness; I'm saying they should eat earlier if they're doing nothing and later if they are doing stuff.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 08:28:09 am »

I'm sorry that I cannot provide links as I don't know where to go, but you could trust me and believe that I am not lying when I say Toady already fixed the dwarven work priorities.
The sigs topic:

groo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 08:30:07 am »

I'm not accusing you of lying, mate, I'm just saying I searched and couldn't find anything in the zillions of posts and cluttered dev logs available to me. I'm saying this only to stave off accusations of not having even run a rudimentary search before posting my idea. If it's already been addressed, then awesome!

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:03:22 am »

Here it is:
11/29/2009
I handled equipment change job interruptions today, so people won't go off on lengthy yet stale missions to grab some object. I went over some other related problems as well, the most interesting probably being that dwarves will now keep working for a while longer even if they get hungry, thirsty or tired during the course of the job. That should be enough for any job that doesn't have a dwarf really stuck somewhere, walking through some complicated labyrinth or grabbing several resources. Until I get around to handling job priorities, there's a chance that they'll sometimes pick up another job once the first finishes, which will then cancel halfway through once they get really hungry, but during testing they've always run off to eat after the first job, so it should work well.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:17:09 am »

Thanks Murphy! I couldn't remember where to look for the life of me, although I think he tossed in a comment during DF Talk 4 as well.

And don't worry, Groo, I'm not upset. It's just very bad wording on my part. Too bad the internet doesn't have tone of voice, right?
The sigs topic:

groo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 10:33:39 am »

It is, and no worries.

And thanks, Murphy. :)