Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bags and barrels  (Read 801 times)

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bags and barrels
« on: April 03, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »

Could it be made that empty barrels may be stacked, and empty bags folded up?

I'm mostly concerned about bags, atm: when in use, you don't see them. Dozens of spice or seed bags go into a single barrel. But god forbid you empty them all, suddenly you've got bags clogging all furniture piles.

I'd suggest that they may be stacked; if this requires a container, it might be yet another bag. While a "bag bag" may sound silly, it would still sit in plain view on your stockpile, giving you at least an approximate figure.

I'd also like if something similar was possible with empty barrels as well. And maybe if barrels had more capacity to begin with. Right now, the food stockpile for a 200-Dwarf fortress has to be rather large to begin with; that you may possibly need twice that space for storage of empty containers is a bit excessive.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: bags and barrels
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 08:16:00 pm »

I agree, space-saving features for storage (and not along the lines of more bin-like objects) would be good...
But only really useful when the recombination of stacks is implemented.

IMO these gray areas of "It's a bag so it's a cloth object and should go into the cloth stockpile bins, but it's also a bag so it can be used as a container, which is furniture, so it goes in the furniture stockpile" need to be sorted out if "Dwarven stores are selling furniture!" is ever going to happen.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 09:07:00 pm »

Well, I don't know about any of this stores selling furniture stuff.

I once had a frightful incident when after sorting out my furniture and seeds piles, suddenly all the one-seed-bags went back into circulation.

What occasioned my post was the less frightful but more common sight of numerous bags and barrels moving from food to furniture during winter. Every year, I'm surprised at just how many bags there are.

The idea that bags might be stored in bags has a simple, practical reason. If they went into bins, you'd never know if a bin sitting on the furniture pile is empty. But if a bag could hold ten more bags, you'd get a rough overview of how many you have left at first glance.

There would be some shuffling back and forth, of course, but by and large the container stuff seems to work out more often than not.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 08:47:00 pm »

This might sound stupid but if a bag could hold ten bags then wouldn't something need to be implemented to keep bags in the bags from holding bags? I mean if bag one is holding bags 2-11 right then what keeps bag 12 from holding bag 1? Unless of course the size and holding space is accounted for in some way and then calculates that in. Cause yeah... limitless space

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 12:17:00 am »

Yeah, empty bags probably don't need to take up as much physical floorspace as a whole bin. Good idea! =)

Tim

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 04:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ricemastah:
<STRONG>This might sound stupid but if a bag could hold ten bags then wouldn't something need to be implemented to keep bags in the bags from holding bags?</STRONG>

Regarding bags recursively containing themselves, that's a valid question: I recall having seen something to that effect in the bug reports. There it was backpacks, I think.

Another problem: up to ten bags go into a bag bag, alright so far. But what's to stop the dwarves from stuffing bag bags into another bag, creating a bag bag bag?

Both issues can be dealt with, but suddenly my proposal no longer looks as simple and straightforward as I thought it would.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 10:09:00 am »

*cough* Legendary bag of holding *cough*

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »

Just only allow empty bags to be placed in other bags.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 07:14:00 am »

not so complex to code if you think about how it can be done in reality.  There is a small volume to each bag, and a limited volume any bag can hold. you can nest bags all you want just so long as the original storing bag isn't holding too much volume of anything (in this case bags).  Just have coding that searches the root container for 'held volume' (in this case we could use weight as previous poster said) and also check to make sure the bag is flexible (cant stuff one barrel of the same size into another).  If both those checks pass, the storage passes. If they fail, then it is full.