Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick Extinction  (Read 630 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Quick Extinction
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:59:58 pm »

I'm somewhat new to the game (a couple months), and even newer to modding (a couple weeks).  I was messing around a little while ago, and decided to try and make an ice-age world, where everything was really cold.  My hope was that the elves would die off quickly, and that dwarves (and maybe a few humans) would survive, although not pleasantly.
I was able to make the world cold, like I had hoped.  Everything is frozen.  As I looked through legends mode (starting with the later years), I was pleased to see mainly dwarves.  However, I eventually figured out that, instead of dying off, the humans and elves had just never spawned.  Is there any way I can make them appear and die off early in world gen?

Another neat fact about my world:  Most of the megabeasts either died early, or have never been in any kind of fight.  I guess they couldn't find any victims!  Giants, on the other hand, have been pretty successful.  Probably because I gave them extra layering.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:26:58 am by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Extinction
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:36:15 am »

I think the problem is that the humans and elves just have too little layering to survive so the game doesn't spawn them. My best guess would be to bump the layering on them up just a little so that they do spawn but don't really survive.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

CarsonCity314

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 01:30:49 am »

It's related to the [START_BIOME:] and [BIOME_SUPPORT::] tags in your entity_default.txt file.  By default, elves need forests and humans need grasslands to build cities, while dwarves and goblins only need mountains.  By permitting mountains or whatever other terrible wasteland your world is made of, you will enable those entities to spawn.  Also, you can add multiples of these tags to increase the range and frequency of a civilization's settlements.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:42:25 am »

Heh, im going to visit a dwarf fortress with [START_BIOME:OCEAN] later :p
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 02:49:46 am »

prepare for thousands of "urist mcdwarf has drowned"
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:45:07 am »

Oh man, this is awesome!
They broke through to the ocean underground, so everything is flooding now :D
Also, soil aren't replaced by walls, I'd presumed they would...

EDIT: Also, the king is naked.
AWESOME!

EDIT2: Hmm, the waves are acting very odd, they roll(?) on the highest (z-level wise) water they can find, which in this case was one z-level above the ocean.
I got no idea how it got up there.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:48:14 am by Danarca »
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.