Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Varied enter town shortcuts  (Read 584 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Varied enter town shortcuts
« on: January 29, 2008, 01:45:00 am »

In adventure mode when you enter a town from the big map. It seems to always put you in the town hall with the mayor.

This is fine. But it would be nice if you could also select the different shops from a list as well as the town hall. This would make it possible to access and find the shops in towns stradding cliffs with no ramp in sight.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Varied enter town shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 02:11:00 am »

Hell, just a map would be nice, so you don't have to play a rousing game of "find the shop" on perfectly flat terrain...

Well, at least that town got attacked by a swarm of groundhogs, so I felt slightly better.

Actually, until towns actually become somewhat reasonable in design, how about just sticking all the important buildings around that tavern with the mayor?  That way, you'd have one important cluster of buildings which would be the only ones you'd have to think about.  

But yes, some way of choosing which building you plunk yourself down at would be nice.  Better than walking halfway across town every time you stop by to buy something.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 10:16:00 am »

I think the minimap Toady has been working on will solve this issue.  :)`

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »

But it won't solve the issue of cliffside towns until he gets to the buildings linked by roads bloat. Its aggravating when you visit a town and can see the roofs and stilts of various buildings but there are no ramps around. I once followed a merchant on his way to and from the town hall to his shop and he ended up walking down the cliff for miles before there was a useable ramp.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?