Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When elves get it right  (Read 2497 times)

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: When elves get it right
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 09:02:06 am »

In my first fort I always bought up every caravan and leave them with huge profit. Then I noticed I had 1000+ cloth stacks and 500+ leather stacks.

And I still had fucktons of them around even though every single sewable item (even the half thousand narrow clothes from goblin!) was sewed with cloth/leather images.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 09:06:21 am »

One of my favorite moments was watching a titan beat an elven caravan to death with a cloth bin. I made a small shrine for that bin.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 09:23:06 am »

You mean he killed them using a cloth bin or that they were carrying a single bin?

Or both?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 09:24:58 am »

One of my favorite moments was watching a titan beat an elven caravan to death with a cloth bin. I made a small shrine for that bin.

It's too bad you can't label ordinary items as legendary.  "Bloodriver Elfbane, a cloth bin."

I had a pleasant encounter with elves recently.  Embarked on a human town, and when the hippy caravan arrived, I was almost positive I brought no wooden anything to the Depot.  And lo, when I attempted to trade off a bronze sword for a caged cougar, the bloody elf says, "Once a beautiful tree, now blah blah blah..."

AHRGH!!!  %&$#@ YOU YE FLEA-RIDDEN &$%#  %&$@%$#%

So I seized the lot.  I look forward to their attack.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 09:31:31 am »

Elves are usually quite unwilling to attack you. They will only do that if you break their tree-cutting limit or if you kill/sieze many caravans. I killed every caravan in many years and I yet have to get a elf siege.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 09:34:12 am »

Waga, the titan killed one of the pack animals and proceeded to pick up a cloth bin and mash the rest of the caravan into the ground with it. Not a single survivor.  :)

Then it entered my fort and killed about twenty dwarves, including 90% of my military and about half the guards.  ???

Eh. It was still a good day.

Edit: Found the link to the original thread I posted the story in. I was way off on the death toll, which included a few war dogs, the entire elven caravan, 28 dwarves during the fight and fifteen more dead later of various wounds, beatings and neglect.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:12:47 am by Awayfarer »
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 09:36:06 am »

When elves get it right... in the face.

As long as you made something suitably humiliating out of the titan's head, the loss of your dwarves should be bearable. ;D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 12:31:55 pm »

fifteen more dead later of various wounds, beatings and neglect.

Random assignment of punishments leads to hilarity.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 02:03:09 pm »

I've tried that, but it didn't work. What token(s) do I add/remove?
Give them [DIPLOMAT], which I suspect you've done already, and remove [trEE_CAP_DIPLOMACY]. I'm not sure if they need [MERCHANT_NOBILITY], but I always threw it in to match the other liaison-giving entities. That should work, but fool around with the dwarves' entity entry if it doesn't. Since they're more-or-less guaranteed to turn up in the first autumn they make a good testing ground.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]