Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting Lodge Challenge:  (Read 907 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Hunting Lodge Challenge:
« on: January 24, 2010, 04:46:04 pm »

Note: for easier results, do this in untamed wilderness area. You'll have plenty to hunt.

Would anyone like to just have a dwarven hunting lodge instead of a "Fortress?" I'd give it a try....
After all, how many farm plots can you really dig before it gets old?
What to do with immigrants is an interesting question.... Disable them?

What would something meant only as a hunting lodge look like? I'm thinking it would be about looks and pleasing dwarves more than the typical "entrance of doom" idea.

What do you think? What would be needed? Any considerations need to be taken into account? And what on earth do you do with the horrible knowledge that wood will be more available than stone in most forest areas you start out in..... *shivers*.

Truean

P.S. How often do animals spawn anyhow? Also, would this be a more fun way to train military than just normal barracks sparring?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:50:04 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting Lodge Challenge:
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 04:54:18 pm »

I generally don't use hunters because immigrant hunters start hunting animals, and then they won't come back. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if they come back after a year or so. Along those lines, I'm not sure if enclosed wild animals will breed, but if they do, you could set up a live shooting range :P
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 04:54:39 pm »

I've thought of doing this before, but never actually have yet. I think the main problem would be against sieges. Ambushes wouldn't be a problem because most of your population is hunters and probably decent with the weapons they use, but sieges would overwhelm them without armor eventually. Also, for migrants, I would just suggest modding out non-hunting labors in the entity files, so you'd get dwarves that had no skills, or just hunting skills. As for number of wild animals, I would just mod them to insanely high numbers so they don't run out. Another thing I'd suggest is not trading with the caravans for much profit so you don't too much immigrant or enemy attention.

Edit: Ninja'd
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 04:58:02 pm »

but beanchubbs, you can get your hunters to use plate armor by temporarily drafting them, setting their military preference to plate, letting them pickup equipment and then un-drafting them. After being relieved from military duty, hunters will keep wearing any armor they have. :D

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 05:10:52 pm »

It just occured to me that herbalism would be required to get booze if we don't farm. Might as well fish for turtles so we have variety and shells for moods as well....

Please don't quote me.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 05:58:48 pm »

If you want to do the dwarves justice and still live aboveground, build a viking-style longhouse out of rock. Use fortifications, statues or even supports for ornaments. The entire building is one big room, and in the middle there's a fireplace (you can simulate this with a wood furnace, I suppose). Leave a hole in the roof, perhaps covered by a hatch, to work as a chimney. The longhouse will have no windows.

Most workshops you build will have to be outdoors, but the inside will feature bedding, containers, stockpiles for the most important stuff, etc. Outdoors you can build wooden sheds for additional storage space.

As for the immigrants, can't you just set a low pop cap in the init file?
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 06:26:20 pm »

but beanchubbs, you can get your hunters to use plate armor by temporarily drafting them, setting their military preference to plate, letting them pickup equipment and then un-drafting them. After being relieved from military duty, hunters will keep wearing any armor they have. :D

I know, I was just going along the lines of playing as a group of hunters/gatherers. You can get them to wear plate, but if you're going to play a challenge as hunters, you mine as well keep it more challenging.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 07:39:35 pm »

I'd imagine you'll be trading for booze? I don't know how many dwarves you can support through gathering plants and brewing them.

One problem you will have is that wildlife will eventually run out. But if you keep your population low though you should be ok for a long time.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands