Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Earthworking  (Read 462 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Earthworking
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:14:00 am »

The ability to do stuff with the dirt and sand other than dig through it and perhaps do a bit of surface farming would be nice. I'm thinking among other things of the ability to use it as a building material, or to move it around (such as taking some from the surface and spreading it on the cavern floor further away where you want your farm.

Packed earth as a building material has it's uses, and is sometimes superior to stone.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Baney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.efrgames.com
Re: Earthworking
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 05:07:00 am »

Actually I like that Idea.. where DOES the earth go when you mine it?

some of my old constructions, I'd like to be able to fill in the 'bad designs' with earth, surround it in a rock wall, and forget I ever built there (trapping bad dwarves and special goods for aethetic reasons...)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 05:20:00 am »

hmm.
like:

move earth - earth is moved from the minable/channeled tile to the tile(s) behind the dwarf.
Don't think that will work well, it would require quantifying rock/earth like water/magma are.
Conservation of matter would rear its head too, creating rubble from mined rock.

I'd love to do it though, currently I need to scrape off all of the surface layer to get my underground longhouses . . . actually they look more like hobbitholes.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 06:23:00 am »

Buildable soil would be nice in that you could set up farms inside buildings. Always wanted to build an enclosed all-glass fortress? Now you can!