Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creatures display random graphics from the .bmp, instead of assigned ones  (Read 775 times)

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is the subject clear enough?, anyway

I'm working on a mod with my own made-up race of rat-lizardmen, in fact I am almost finished. The problem is that the sprites that I've made aren't showing up correctly, for example, a ranger shows up with the blacksmith tile, and thresher is just a black square. Also at the same time, others show up just perfect (child, weaponsmith...). I have checked if the coordinates (the 0:10 that signify which tile to use) are corrct, they are, they fit the .bmp. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Ps. Sorry for the messy English, I am from Poland and damn tired.

Ps.2 First post woohoo
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Plac1d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WIKI

Can you post a picture of your bitmap and the TILE_PAGE header from your text document?

If that's too much trouble to do, try reversing the [PAGE_DIM:23:21] numbers around to [PAGE_DIM:21:23]. Don't use these exact numbers though, they are just an example! I've noticed that's been the main problematic source for most issues like these. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:16:58 pm by Plac1d »
stopped aerial births

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, it is definitely not that. I triple-checked it before.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile

first off TILE_DIM stands for how big each graphic square is. the default (but still have to put it on the txt file) is [TILE_DIM:16:16]
then the PAGE_DIM stands for the columns and rows, in that specific order. same for when you're doing indexing like writing out [MINER:DORFS:0:20:AS_IS:DEFAULT] ,the two numbers are the column then the row.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile

I still think you should post both the file and the image. That would probably be the best way for us to diagnose it.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure, OK, thanks for your help.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bear in mind that it is not finished entirely. Now I'm thinking, maybe you cannot assign one sprite to more than one profession...?
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

You can.

Also, which sprites aren't you happy with? Can you provide a screenshot from the game with a wrong tile?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Feh, it would be easier to list those that DO display properly  :-[ which would be... child, axeman, crossbowman, spearman and farmer.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Again, can you show any example please?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From left to right, there are: a butcher displayed as a mechanic, a gem cutter displayed as a craftsman and a trapper displayed as an armorer. The three black squares are a dyer, a blacksmith and a cook, and the last skelt not pictured is a bonecarver, a black square too.

I can whip up adv mode and try to catch as many professions as possible, if that would help the diagnosis.

Also I've just noticed that your signature looks like a carrot.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Creatures display random graphics from the .bmp, instead of assigned ones
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 11:39:45 am »

OK, that's pretty simple. You've mapped them wrong. If you follow the DYER:4:9, you see an empty square, same with others. It looks like it should be 3:9 from the tileset, and you have the same "Y" issues with other sprites.

Don't forget that you start to count with 0, not 1 (the first tile is 0:0; the first raw is X:0; the first column is 0:Y). And everything is as you mapped, i.e. butcher displays the tile it's assigned to, so you have to remap them in the graphics_s.txt if you want them to look different, and move those who link to empty squares.

P.S. About signatures: you're right, I want a [HERBIVORE] token too :).

P.P.S. Here's the pic which shows that 4:9 is empty (with white "x") to make it clearer:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:49:26 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creatures display random graphics from the .bmp, instead of assigned ones
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 12:54:16 pm »

Ohh, of course. I know that, but I'm too messy of a worker to remember it all the time. Many thanks. Now I can finally get to play this here mod.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?