Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Note on Barracks  (Read 1085 times)

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Note on Barracks
« on: January 21, 2010, 06:50:56 am »

I have not yet tested this with a barracks designated from an armour stand or weapon rack, but I have established one annoying little fact: dwarves will not spar in a bed-designated barracks full of beds. At least, they will not initiate sparring in such a barracks. I invite further testing.

EDIT: To clarify, there must be at least one non-bed tile in the barracks area. I haven't tested whether it can be some other occupied type.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:53:40 am by Innominate »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: A Note on Barracks
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:10:35 pm »

That is interesting.  If there's one free tile, do they start sparring there?  They'll roam over beds of course, but they'll roam right out of the barracks (and down wells, I hear) so that isn't surprising.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:29:07 pm »

Along similar lines, they will not begin sparring when the only available "floor" space consists of retracting bridges.

So much for my self-cleaning barracks.  :'(

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:38:22 pm »

That is interesting.  If there's one free tile, do they start sparring there?  They'll roam over beds of course, but they'll roam right out of the barracks (and down wells, I hear) so that isn't surprising.
Nope, when I deconstructed one bed in a corner they immediately ran to the centre of the room to begin sparring. I'm wondering whether there might be an interesting way to trick the system (internal door in the room set to forbidden, for example) to allow sparring as well as fully occupied floors.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 12:45:58 am »

Along similar lines, they will not begin sparring when the only available "floor" space consists of retracting bridges.

So much for my self-cleaning barracks.  :'(

Flood it with water magma. It's like dwarf Comet, it even gets out those tough stains...
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325