Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Overall Layout?  (Read 1663 times)

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Overall Layout?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 10:47:16 pm »

Generally I do this:

(0 is ground level, higher numbers go downwards)
0: Fortifications/entrance
1: Defense/barracks/farming
2: Exports & Bulk Storage
3: Workshop specific supplies (Arranged above the workshops, connected by stairs
4: Workshops
5: Dining/Small Food&Booze storage/Meeting Area
6: Peasant quarters
7: Royal Quarters

I usually lay out my workshop and raw material storage complexes as a set of 11x11 blocks with 3x wide hallways and double doors, as follows:
Code: [Select]
WW  | Each W is one 11x11 space with 4 staircases at the vertices of 3x3 floor plots
WWWW | Each W is bordered by 3 wide hallways.
WWWW | At the center is a 3x3 central stair with a garbage chute in the center
 WW  |

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 11:09:48 pm »

I don't like laying out my overalls.  I prefer to hang them.

I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Pabbicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 11:11:56 pm »

Before my fortress fell apart from an unfortunate fish-related accident while draining a murky pool in the way of my fortress building, I experimented. I will try on my next attempt with the first level being simply defense and trading, the level above that will house the majority of my soldiers, the level below that will house goods ready for export.

Below that is the top level of my hotel blocks, which are 5 z-levels at peak, though I like to try and keep them to 3. 3 levels below the bottom housing level are the workshops, each of them have a basement twice it's length for storing input and output, and the workshops are separated by a hallway three tiles wide, which allows for an extra 3 tiles in their basements.

The workshops are 4x6, so I have two workshops per room, and an extra line of tiles for basement access. workshops are one z-level and basements are one z-level, so I can use the rest of the mountain for exploratory mining. The dining hall will have a food stockpile in it's center, and above that is a kitchen room with a furniture stockpile, two stills, two kitchens and a food stockpile, along with a stairway up to the farm level for easy access. Nobles and people who need larger bedrooms and offices/dining rooms/tombs will have their own separate hotel block assigned for them. Outside I'll work on building a moat without water on the ground level, to keep it from freezing and allowing access, and have a drawbridge there.

I wish I could find magma, a river and trees in the same embark map so I could work on a magma tunnel trap like the one in that other thread.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 11:17:23 pm »

This is the blueprint I used in my latest fortress:

Top left is for noble/office floors, top right is the cheap living quarters, bottom left is the workshop floors, bottom right is dining and barracks (missing a wall on the dining/barracks orange there is doors)

The blue in the middle is my central staircase, squares in the corner are stockpiles.

I have not touched the very bottom level, because I'm saving it to make waterfall drainage (waterfall through central staircase).  Next 3 floors from the bottom are rooms, the top floor is exit/depot, the floor below that barracks, workshops below that... the only level that is different is the magma pipe level for the forges... it has a line of magma that runs around the edge to the workshop "spikes" so that i can still put stockpiles on that level.

Also credit where credit is due, i was inspired by and used as a basis the design SkyRender posted at http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46733.msg933159#msg933159

I got rid of the stairs in the stockpiles and expanded some so that I could have a direct diagonal line from the central stairs to the stockpiles.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 05:53:17 am »

screw 3 z levels to housing make 10 above ground z levels devoted to housing apartments with double z level rooms
Pages: 1 [2]