Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A funny observation...  (Read 1141 times)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
A funny observation...
« on: January 20, 2010, 04:00:20 pm »

So I was just working on a new fortress and realised something...

The game will pause and zoom every time you find some pretty rocks, but your dwarves can be killing each other or in a tantrum spiral or getting slaughtered by zombie mountain goats and the game just keeps rolling along  ;D
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A funny observation...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 04:11:49 pm »

It would be nice even just if the hostiles actually appeared somewhere near the top of the units list, so that I don't have to pause the game and spend five minutes scrolling down to find them and zoom to them manually.  Not that it really matters, because as soon as I unpause the game, my dwarfs usually chase the hostiles offscreen again.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 04:54:16 pm »

'You have struck Microcline!' RAEG!!

Two things that make you things you mentioned easier, rufio:

Pressing PgUp/PgDn in menus that you scroll through with the arrow keys or */ in menus you scroll through with +- will scroll one screen at a time, getting you to invaders and such much faster. Also, invader squads are shown as red blobs on the minimap, making them rather easy to locate and follow.

Pausing the game every time a dwarf gets killed would be rather tedious as well - the average tantrum spiral would take hours to spacebar through :D
The fish are watching.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 05:00:51 pm »

You have struck Microcline!

Urist McNoble, King, has been struck down.

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 05:04:04 pm »

Yes, I know about that, but between my ~130 dwarves, ~40 stray puppies and god knows how much deceased wildlife it still takes a while.  Caravans also seem to show up as red on the map (and add another huge amount of entries to unit list), and when I'm doing this, it's usually to find out where some lone thief/snatcher/megabeast has gotten to, and not to follow a whole raiding party.

/grumble

Recentering the camera after getting called away to look at some shiny new microcline is actually relatively easy: u->down x 4/5->c usually does it.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 05:18:34 pm »

Pausing the game every time a dwarf gets killed would be rather tedious as well - the average tantrum spiral would take hours to spacebar through :D

Yea, I can see the logic behind not pausing on combat and death, as that would make ambushes and sieges fairly annoying.  I mainly just posted because I never really made the connection and when I just did it struck me as a bit silly.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 06:52:29 pm »

I'm quite sure that in the next version the camera zooms when ever a dwarf dies. Also COMBAT TEXT!
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 06:54:58 pm »

o thought it just changed water into wine?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 07:05:24 pm »

Isn't the next version going to let you customize for yourself what messages to show and which not show? Not to mention pausing/unpausing?
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore