Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Island for you!  (Read 22757 times)

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Island for you!
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2010, 02:14:21 pm »

I just embarked to Elizar's island with 1 male and 6 lady dwarves. It's like some polygamous cult

EDIT: Crud I was wrong, there are 2 dudes
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:18:37 pm by riznar »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2010, 02:19:35 pm »

All the better. Dwarves are staunchly monogamous, even after the death of their spouse/lover.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2010, 11:21:57 pm »

I have the opposite. 1 woman, 6 dwarves. Thankfully, it's summer and she's already in love.

o/' summer lovin', happens so fast~ o/'
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2010, 09:08:46 am »

I started with 4 men en three women, and before the end of the first year they were all married (except for the one single man, poor guy), and I have my first child :)

I was just wandering, if you build a road to the edge of the map (a bridge, I suppose) would that allow migrants/traders to enter the area?
Technically, the edge of the map would just be more water but I don't know if the game is smart enough for that or not.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2010, 09:17:45 am »

I think it might, not sure. Test it out.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2010, 10:07:23 am »

Alright, I'm about to finish building my bridge, though I suppose it will take a while before I can be sure it worked or not.

edit: dang, I lost one of the 3 babies during the construction of it. The parent got knocked out and for some reason the baby actually travelled 15 tiles just so he could dive into the water and drown :p
Anyway, its finished now and no sign of any activity yet. I'll wait for a full autumn and then check back here.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:29:59 am by P-Luke »

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2010, 11:48:36 am »

Well, two autumns later there is still no sign of any traders or migrants, so I think it's safe to say that building a bridge off the map actually does calculate what is on the other side.
Oh well, I'll just pretend it leads to the large trading ship they used to get here ^^

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2010, 11:48:44 am »

Interesting side note:
During the winter, the water around my island froze.
Bobcats and pronghorns spawned.
The water unfroze.
Now, I have about 20 dead pronghorns and bobcats spread around my island..

I dont know if this is related to me building the bridge to the edge, or if it's a common feature that animals will approach islands in the middle of a frozen lake , but it's somewhat entertaining :p

Oh, and it seems a few pronhorns survived and reached my island. They are now breeding new fawns and thus repopulating my island's wildlife :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:04:52 pm by P-Luke »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2010, 05:11:40 pm »

Ice counts as land, if a land biome reaches the map edge, but has water on it (water usually intrudes into other biomes a little) then the ice will be a valid spawn point for critters.

If you set it up right, you can end up on an island with one or two biomes reaching the map edge, but no land. In winter a bunch of animals will suddenly spawn (as the game goes HAY! Valid spawn point!) and then will promptly drown in spring.

Their bodies will then get frozen in the ice next winter, assuming they don't decay first, and then you can mine down through the ice and retrieve them.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2010, 06:48:25 pm »

If ice counts as land, would that mean we could get goblins in the winter. Still no migrants as there are no caravans or liason reporting back home.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]