Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: more different uses of materials and rocks and object properties  (Read 981 times)

bormoth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I'd realy liked if there  were more unic different uses of specific materials.
i.e.
general uses: u can make this thing almoust of everything: like making
                   blocks,walls,stairs e.t.c. No mutter what rock, wood or maybe some other materials u have u can do this.(it is implemented alreadypretty nice);

special uses: only form 3 to 6(or maybe some narrow group of them)  types
     of materials can be used for this.(like barrels and bins made of wood,or bolts -  wood, bone, iron).

unic- u can use only that kind of material for this only or it gives really good
      properties to some items.(example boxite for lava proof parts or even adamantine wich is pretty much like strategic resource).This things should be not so nessesary but still pretty usefull(dependant on material quality). and should be treated as strategical uses.

It is still possible to make some special properties wich separates this material from others.

Also it would be good if items had some properties i'e chalk walls would be  less resistant to damage but don't crack(witch can move to neighbouring tilesand make walls susceptible for damage) on heavy object hit,so u can use it as one time save your granite or mramor walls.Glass walls pretty fragile, but they are pretty cheap and shatter on destruction having chance to wound some one nearby,and after shatter it can be like weak trap damaging unarmored legs until cleaned(dependant on stack one tile range from shattered object) can lead for some fun(like mad dwarf hit glass object, or even on sieges).
  Some materials can make (un)happy thoughts e.t.c., some can be pretty much invisible in dark, to creatures with bad vision or head damage. obsidian floors and walls in pit and wait till nasty elf tambles there in dark.
  Or even stone traps made out of bag of chalk,coal,ash , or talk powder can almoust deal no damage but blocking  vision(less u can see while in and also less what's going on there), or causing wander till dust settles(for chalk and talk u can mark em to be better seen in dark therefore better targeting). Or just drop bags of chalk powder on some one head by using preasure plates.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:33:35 am by bormoth »

bormoth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: more different uses of materials and rocks and object properties
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 07:17:26 pm »

Seems this topic either un interesting orwasn't contributed some defined ideas to discuss in first post, so i'll try add some more examples and suggestions.If they are stil not interested then let this topic go down. So if it is interesting feel free add your own suggestions what proper uses of suggested materials or their properties u would like to see.(let's hope that some ideas would interest developer) ;)

diorite-pretty hard like other intrusive rocks,making it good material for outter walls and fortifications and building floors in large rooms,and can be cracked. Built floor and ramps of, it can be smoothed to harden movement. Smothed ramps can move enemies in neighboring tile if it smooth too then unit can move farther. Plus there is chance that enemy looses balance in process and fells down.
  crack efect
all major object can be cracked getting them more succeptible for damage or cave in. Unfixed cracked objects can spawn cracks on neghboring tiles.
Cracks progress from level 1 to 7 over time with dependant on supporting mass and material properties. cracks over lvl 7 destroy object. Cracks progress slower between neighboring objects made of different crackable materials. Neighbouring objects of the same materials get bonus durability.

Twigs can be used as earlier version of pittraps. Bridge made from it can be marked as pittrap(unpassable for alliesand passable for hostiles) it will fall down autamaticaly under unit steps on it, if tile under it is accesible for 1x1 unit.

Orthoclase belongs to group of crackable materials too but cracks progression over time is slowed down.

Marble and obsidian can be considered as good material for shrines if there would be one. They are crackable too.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:02:03 pm »

The material stuff has been completely rewritten in the new version.

I think I recall crack propogation is in for combat for those creatures that are made of rock or whatever, but no idea about your idea.

Maybe you can check out the spoilered raws (I don't have a direct link atm), could give you a better idea of how to describe your idea.

Just remember one thing though, we don't even know fully how it will all work yet (only Toady does atm), so your idea sounds ripe for some method of experimentation in the next release.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 10:02:36 pm »

I think I recall crack propogation is in for combat for those creatures that are made of rock or whatever, but no idea about your idea.

Fracture propagation is not in yet, although it may be implemented later on:

Quote from: CobaltKobold
Related but separate, would a Stone Colossus (or similar) shatter (or appropriate) due to brittleness on proper strike from pick or hammer?
(Chisels were the original thought, though unlikely that one can apply properly in battle)
Quote from: Sean Mirrsen
It depends on how far Toady has taken the material properties into combat damage. The pick breaks stone because it applies a large weight onto a small point. If Toady has worked the proper factors in, the pick's impulse applied to a small damage area (these are in, as far as I can tell) will overcome the rock's impact yield, and since it cannot be dented like metal, it will shatter.

There are a couple of notions at work here, and we've got one and not the other.  The stone would be damaged, and break in that sense, but there's no notion of overall cleavage/fracture/whatever type characteristics.  Some things should shatter into little pieces, or break off in sheets, or whatever else.  So right now, you'd plant your pick into the stone colossus, but it wouldn't get appropriate larger fractures spreading over itself.  Modeling that sort of thing isn't out of reach, at least in a rough yet effective way, but it's not going in this time around.

Anyway, bormoth, here's a link for the spoilered raws that smjjames mentioned (the new material properties are visible in the "Material Templates" section).

bormoth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 08:14:01 pm »

first of all thanks for spoiled raws.
Second this just suggestion if toady feels like to implement any then ok otherwise so be it.
  Cracks are like damage over time( taking season or even years to destroy tile, dependand on architecture)
but with side effect of lowering durability of this section and support weight.
And with nasty effect progress not in level but to other tiles too.
  but still possible to implement this fracture we already have and durability can be aproximately calculated like, k*(density)/(molar mass) where k is custom constant.  but still it would be rather aproximate cause real durability depends from plenty things like atomic arrangements in material.
  it can be ended like this granite obsidian and other magmatic rocks would be rather hard and crackable after few hits, while sedimentary rocks got destroyed before they can even crack, but sometimes can save much work to your architectors fixing walls.

As for durability boost for neghbouring sections made of same material (artifacial made tiles) not scientificaly legal, but still it can be nice effect of forcing players to think, what they want either durable walls with same material, or more crack resistant (cracks have hard time to move onto next tile if it is made from other material or even not possible i.e. composite materials).

As for new suggestions u can use mudstone, silt and clay for making mud from water.(yay 7 depth mud river), witch rather slow comparing to water but more strong and dense(same as deadly)

I don't know weather it is posible to make ceramics now, but still can be good use for clay too.(forged and dyed ceramics)