Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mud covering prepared meals  (Read 598 times)

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mud covering prepared meals
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:36:54 am »

Okay, well I was trying an automated food delivery system because well... I could.
Anyway, upon testing its ability using only prepared meals, I saw them be pushed along, all was well, until they start disapearing one by one. Not being flushed in the drain or rotting, disapearing. Some make it alright to the end and out of the bout 10 meals 2 remain (at the destination). Baffled I press "k" and look over all the tiles to see nothing. So I go in the "z" stock mode and look through my prepared meals till I recognize one of the missing ones. I zoom to it. It brings me to a tile in the floodway, its where the food should be. It just isn;t actually there though.

wtf?

Here is a plan of the set-up with some details

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The corridor of the top z-level is made of constructed rock bock floors, over them is a food stockpile set for prepared meals only. At the start of the test it was full of preapared meals of different stack sizes. On the lower z-level, the water runs off onto a soil floor tyle, then through a wall grate constructed over a brook (not channeled). After the test run, 2 meals were on the end tyle, size 13 and 14. The rest disapeared. All the floors were then muddy.

Notable observation, stack size affected how much water pushed the meals around, the really heavy [39 win roast] stayed on screen for awhile but was not pushed all the way off and settled near the ledge.

Either having a wall grate built over a brook tile confuses the game (Wall grates can't be built over open space so water wouldn;t normally flow downards trough it) or mud has some sort of mechanic to cover items or just food which isn;t in a container. Or Urist the engineer is actually Urist the Magician.

Anyone had something like that happen to them?

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
Re: Mud covering prepared meals
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 09:49:30 am »

Yeah, I've got some trans-dimensional goblins in my fortress at the moment. They got batted into my moat, but whenever I zoom to them, they're not there.
Frustrating, as it made me think I had more captured goblins to drop in my bear-pit.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:32:46 am »

When items get pushed around by flowing water/magma, there's a chance that they'll just disappear from the screen instead of moving to the destination tile. They'll still show up in Z-Stocks (and you can still zoom to them), using d-b-[whatever] at the appropriate locations will still designate them, and dwarves will still be able to walk there and pick them up, but they won't be affected by temperature or anything else.

This is what causes forts to end up with a bunch of globs of molten stone in their Z-Stocks listing that never disappear during season changes.

000525 □ [dwarf mode][flows]   items that were pushed around by water didn't show up with look command
000595 □ [dwarf mode][items]   molten rock items visible from stocks screen but not in the channel after zoom
000641 ▣ (a save before this happens would be useful) [dwarf mode][items]   molten rock disappears from tile but can still zoom to if from stocks screen
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 01:25:39 pm »

There is a bug similar to this, that when ice melts instead of being mined out items embedded in it go to another dimension. Will I be able to move those with d-b commands too?