Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Punishment for insenstive engravings  (Read 1281 times)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Punishment for insenstive engravings
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:15:15 pm »

Engravers often make a lot of insensitive engravings in a noble's room- animals they hate , dwarves they hate, demons, slaughter of dwarves close to them, slaughter of dwarves in general. I am thinking that the said nobles should react somehow (and in the process become even more of a nuisance). Perhaps jailing the said engraver or sending him to the mayor for sensitivity training whereupon leaving he'll start considering what dwarves like/dont like.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Punishment for insenstive engravings
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:50:57 pm »

Engravers often make a lot of insensitive engravings in a noble's room- animals they hate , dwarves they hate, demons, slaughter of dwarves close to them, slaughter of dwarves in general. I am thinking that the said nobles should react somehow (and in the process become even more of a nuisance). Perhaps jailing the said engraver or sending him to the mayor for sensitivity training whereupon leaving he'll start considering what dwarves like/dont like.

Simple suggestion and one I quite like.

Maybe the check could occur once a season to prevent adding to too much lag?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 01:55:14 pm »

The brave engravers that do that to the rooms of nobles should be praised, not jailed! Nobles are annoying enough WITHOUT jailing every engraver.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 02:09:41 pm »

The brave engravers that do that to the rooms of nobles should be praised, not jailed! Nobles are annoying enough WITHOUT jailing every engraver.

Especially since there is no control over what they engrave, not even for the dwarf, really (roll on the following table:

1-3: Cheese
2-8: Goats
4-12: Urist McUrist
7-20: Urist McUrist's artifact
21-80: Dwarves
40-90: Political event
90-100: Death

Roll a second time:
0-10: Roll again above
11-59: Engrave an engraving of an engraving of your picked choice.
60-100: Finished

Yeah...)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:11:48 pm by Draco18s »

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 02:20:26 pm »

Checks for insensitive engravings would more logically happen if the noble happens to be spending some time admiring (or otherwise) the engravings.

Since there indeed is no control over what gets engraved, here's an idea for how it could perhaps be partially controlled in the future:
If the area is part of a designated room, try finding something relevant to the type of room or the owner of the room.
If there is no designated room (yet), look at what burrow the area is part of, and try finding something appropriate for the area. This would of course require that burrows carry some notion of their "utility".
Engravers would also roll on their skill to determine their chance of picking something appropriate.

Also, I want engravers engraving images of themselves engraving to be punished, unconditionally.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 02:51:33 pm »

My idea is just that each individual engraver checks for a dwarf's likes, like it should be some sort of a social skill the mayor can teach him. The higher the skill the lower the chance the dwarf will engrave the noble's room with stuff that would piss him off. Actually now that I think about it, it might be a bit OP, it would train engraver and a social skill for engravers+mayor.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 05:10:57 pm »

It could just be that looking at an engraving is affected by a dwarf's preferences, if it isn't already.  I.e., an engraving of a subject the dwarf likes and/or on a surface it likes increases the perceived quality mod.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 11:45:35 am »

How about if a Dwarf commissions an engraving for whatever space is their own room?  You could then designate engraving areas as either free-for-all or only able to be commissioned by a list of dwarfs, using the permissions interface.  Commissioned works would tend to favor more skilled engravers, though it's always possible the patron might prefer family or friends.  With a working noncentralized economy, the price could always factor into it too (probably requiring personality traits for frugality)

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 11:36:48 pm »

What if the noble engrave his own room and doesn't like it?
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 01:05:32 am »

Blame the Weaponsmith?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 01:03:54 am »

I think you should be able to decide what they engrave. But I like the ones we have now. They tell the history of the fort and cheese!

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 02:59:51 am »

What if the noble engrave his own room and doesn't like it?

arrest himself.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 04:53:33 am »

ARREST THE FISH DISECTOR.
ITS ALWAYS HIS FAULT.
The fish disector has learnt the ways of the mind by constantly disecting fish, and therefore brains, which are remarkably similar to dwarves...
Thus the fish disector influences the engravings on the fort!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 01:20:30 am »

no , the noble should arrest himself for making a engraving he doesen't like , i am thinking a noble craving something that pisses off the king in the throne room , then get arrested by the king , or this :

annoying noble : i will engrave my own room myself!
*engraves a annoying picture for himself*
annoying noble : I , MUST , ARREST , MYSELF!
*lol noble , annoying noble , has hammered himself to death*