Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Book suggestions?  (Read 1319 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Book suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 09:14:15 pm »

I highly, highly recommend the 'Dies the Fire' series by S.M. Stirling. As alternate-reality fiction goes, it's awesome, and I've enjoyed his work more than anything else I've read in recent memory.

The 'Hyperion' series by Dan Simmons is also great stuff.

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 10:26:19 pm »

I really suggest this series, at least the first book or two, haven't read further than those at least.http://davidfarland.zenfront.com/runelords/the-runelords-the-sum-of-all-men.html.

It had a very unique (to me any ways) take on magic and fantasy. Link there should give you a better idea though.
I'd like to throw my recommendation in for this as well. The first series is quite good, the second not so much, but still an enjoyable read.

Let's see what else. . anything by Clarke, Niven, Asimov. . Hitchhiker's Guide, Lord of the Rings (if you haven't yet), Dune, The Dark Elf Trilogy (the only RA Salvatore book I've enjoyed), A Journey to the West, Neuromancer, and plenty of others I can't recall at the moment.
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 01:07:19 am »

My, it appears that only really popular books have been mentioned; let me find my list...

• Dragaeran Series by Steven Brust - Main character is an assassin, details tend to add up in this series. Book order (I think): Taltos, Yendi, Dragon, Jhereg, Teckla, Phoenix, Jhegaala, Athyra, Orca, Issola, Dzur.
  • Elemental Masters Series by Mercedes Lackey - Jumps around but ties many things together, each one is inspired by a fairy tale. Book order:  The Fire Rose, The Serpent's Shadow, The Gates of Sleep, Phoenix And Ashes, The Wizard of London, Reserved for the Cat.
  • Heralds of Valdemar by Mercedes Lackey - Rather detailed universe, and a very good series: things get epic. Mercedes is skilled with emotions and intrigue. Book list (based on timeline): The Black Gryphon, The White Gryphon, The Silver Gryphon, Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, Magic's Price, Foundation, Brightly Burning, The Oathbound, Oathbreakers, Oathblood, Exile's Honor, Exile's Valor, Take A Thief, By The Sword, Arrows of the Queen, Arrow's Flight, Arrow's Fall, Winds of Fate, Winds of Change, Winds of Fury, Storm Warning, Storm Rising, Storm Breaking, Owlflight, Owlsight, Owlknight.
  • Another vote for Robert A. Heinlein, Legendary Writer.
  • Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix: Rather surreal, but interesting. Books follow the days of the week, beginning with Monday.
  • The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey: It seems like fantasy, but is actually science fiction. Pay careful attention to book order to prevent spoilers, sadly, I don't recall that order; too many books.
  • The Unlikely Ones by Mary Brown
  • House of Leaves; may drive the already emotionally unstable insane. Wonderful.
  • Nineteen Eighty-Four, if it hasn't been assigned to you in school.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 02:52:28 am »

The Men who Stare at Goats.

Not much like the movie, actually full of very interesting facts and near unbelievable truths.
Pages: 1 [2]