Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Predictive job selection.  (Read 590 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Predictive job selection.
« on: November 18, 2007, 04:15:00 am »

Would it be possible to make it so dwarves are capable of roughly estimating how long a job will take to finish, and not taking it if they would get hungry, thirsty, or tired partway through?  This would reduce one of the most frequently-mentioned annoyances in the game immensely.

...alternatively, I know that there is supposed to be a 'buffer' between where dwarves will eat and drink when they're free, and where they'll eat and drink when they're not (so, say, a dwarf who is 50% full will eat if he's free; a dwarf who is 25% full will drop jobs to eat.)  Would it be possible to let us set the parameters for this buffer somehow, as a fortress-wide setting, a racial attribute in the raw files, whatever?

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Predictive job selection.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

Seconded. It would also be nice if they looked at those other attributes before they run back to work right away. Like: "Oh, I just ate. Hmm, am I thirsty or tired?" instead of the current "Oh, that was a good meal. Off to work!" ...half way there... "Ugh, I'm thirsty." ...gets a drink... "That was good. Back to work!" ...half way there... "Man I'm getting sleepy. Off to bed!"

Perhaps, when they leave their job for any of these things, they could check the others as if they didn't have a job?

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside