Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That was fun!  (Read 1530 times)

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
That was fun!
« on: February 07, 2010, 12:27:06 pm »

Just got to try out my awesome spike trap for the first time. Two-squad siege came by. Picked off three merchant guards, but otherwise, I escaped unharmed. Most of my dwarves were busy, so my timing was slightly off, and two goblins got through. However, over all, I'd say it was a definite success!

Before:

And after:

dralloss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That was fun!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:45:20 pm »

So I'm guessing those are spikes on the ground that raise up with levers? I'm rather new to the actual defense part of DF. I've spent all my time learning how to make a fortress operate smoothly. I should probably revisit that though :)

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:48:25 pm »

Ah, yes. One way to increase your entertainment value is to make it all fortifications and then train siege operators on catapaults firing into the area from long distance. Sure, they'll miss like crazy, but it's worth it when every so often, a goblin finds there's a big rock where it used to have a torso.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:02:28 pm »

@dralloss you got it. Set the lever to be pulled {R}epeatedly, and the spikes go up and down and up and down. =]

@Shrike that's would be an awesome addition! I actually have two catapults that I used earlier in the fort to remove rock, maybe I'll put them back into use...

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:12:39 pm »

I had a similar setup in a fort a few releases ago, long since deleted. I was much more inexperienced then, and so I had a setup with this sort of thing, only three tiles wide so that the wagons could come through, and bridges that would raise at both ends so that it was a shooting gallery.

Very, very inefficient, but entertaining.
I might try this approach again, though. Have a merchant tunnel to the depot and a windy front path of death for solicitors and sieges.

I think I'd name the fortress "Stonesthrow".

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 02:11:47 am »

I have a 5-tile wide corridor defended by a massive, automated spike trap.  It's arranged as a checkerboard of spikes and pressure plates, with each tile of spikes having two spikes and each pressure plate linked to all of the spikes within 3 tiles of it.  When a goblin steps on a tile, the spikes around them go down, and when they step off it, they go back up again.  Usually, they're stepping onto a tile of spikes.  It doesn't suffer the problems of standard weapon traps (as far as I know), doesn't require levers, and serves as a fantastic defense.

And since it's a checkerboard instead of a block pattern, the whole thing can be crossed in adventure mode, even with traps on.  Also, since the pressure plate tiles would create a sort of 'path' through a spike forest like this, I'm considering constructing a lethal death maze in another fortress to house a tomb of kingly glory.

Code: [Select]
^|^|^
|^|^|
^|^|^
|^|^|
(checkerboard)

^||^|
|||||
|||||
|^||^
|||||
(blocks)

||^||
||^^|
|||^|
|^^^|
|^|||
(maze)
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 04:00:42 am »

Great, now I'm thinking of trying to implement pong in  a spike trap field.