Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idea for new zone: spectating zone  (Read 819 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Idea for new zone: spectating zone
« on: November 17, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »

Hello,

I think it would be cool if we could zone off an area for watched and be entertained by things that happen in the zone (or perhaps in the z-level just below).

For instance, you could have a large glass structure and fill it with water and fish, then zone the structure and the squares surrounding it.  Or build an area caged-in with bars, and put wildlife in there.  Then, the dwarves would come and walk around the area to admire the wildlife/prisoners inside, similar to how they like to look at engravings or statues.

Alternately, you could zone a gladiator pit and the area around the edges as a spectating zone.  When fights take place there, the dwarves come and watch (rather than panic and run away screaming like they do now).

I think this would be nice, because it would allow us to make free-form and complicated structures for entertainment, and have the dwarves actually be able to benefit from them.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for new zone: spectating zone
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 04:28:00 am »

That would be exploitable, if you could simply "designate" an area the dwarfs would get happy thoughts about.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:32:00 am »

Yes, well a lot of things could be exploitable if they aren't implemented well.  I suppose that the area would need to have a living creature or some other event going on in order to make dwarves happy.  Also, the game would have to determine that the happy dwarves were not actually threatened by any creatures in the zone.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 07:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Core Xii:
<STRONG>That would be exploitable, if you could simply "designate" an area the dwarfs would get happy thoughts about.</STRONG>
Like a Legendary dining room/meeting hall?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 10:52:00 am »

Secunded.

Maybe if the dwarf had a violent personality it would be entertained by fights (bigger happy thought the more powerful the fighting creatures are, or the more severe the damage is), but a dwarf who is peaceful will get negative thoughts.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...