Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: ToadyOne, The Bare Minimum  (Read 10194 times)

Obsidean_00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ToadyOne, The Bare Minimum
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2010, 03:44:40 pm »

In the way I was thinking the "switching" between modes would be very similar to how the graphics are turned on/off now.  A simple option in the ini file or an options  menu would make the program display using tiles and another option would be straight ascii.  Just like in nethack.

Heck, my love of nethack brought me to this game, sometimes I play in ascii and sometimes in graphics.  I don't hate one and love the other, and someone isn't less intelligent or less imaginative for wanting their game to be displayed in tile graphics.

I don't see this game ever becoming 3-d though.

As for download size, well I don't suppose anyone's noticed that the graphic sets, even for multiple civs are simply not that large and as such shouldn't impact downloads all that much.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2010, 03:52:40 pm »

I still don't see why "switch modes" should be necessary at all.

The game always uses tile-based graphics and there's no reason to change this to accommodate ASCII. Why is having an ASCII-based tileset like we have now such a bad idea? What's the value in Toady having the game use a completely different graphics engine for this instead of just using an ASCII tileset as it does currently?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2010, 06:16:41 pm »

I still don't see why "switch modes" should be necessary at all.

The game always uses tile-based graphics and there's no reason to change this to accommodate ASCII. Why is having an ASCII-based tileset like we have now such a bad idea? What's the value in Toady having the game use a completely different graphics engine for this instead of just using an ASCII tileset as it does currently?

What he said.

Don't fool yourself thinking DF is an ASCII game. It is a graphical tile-based game, rendered in OpenGL, and currently using SDL. It just happens to use a ASCII-looking tileset by default.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]