Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graphic packs - questions and hopefully answers?  (Read 1074 times)

Luxor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Graphic packs - questions and hopefully answers?
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:00:45 am »

Hi there!

Ok, first of all, i need some explanations regarding graphics in DF:
what exactly is what?

I keep associating the word "tileset" with all of the graphics, but then again which files exactly are the graphics for the world, for the stuff on the ground, the stones, and so on, and which ones are for the people, the monsters, and the animals?

While explaining this to me, assume that i am a 6 years old dwarf child: i will not understand the first time and i might jump off a cliff or kill everyone inside my house if i tantrum.

Also, second question:
Of all the ones that are out, which graphical package do you think is the most stunning?
You know, which one has the best graphics for rooms, barrels, tables, dwarves, gobs, and so on..?
Cause i cant really decide which one to use, and i dont have enough time to just try them all, the time i can dedicate to DF is not that much lately..
so what's your opinion?

Please know that i am an old fashioned kind of guy regarding graphics, so i would like something medieval looking, and not TOO fantasy/cute.
Actually cute is ok, as long as its not fairies.

I am using Mayday right now!

Thanks for the answers, and have a good day everyone!

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic packs - questions and hopefully answers?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 04:11:32 pm »

"Graphics" are for creatures only. The "Tileset" is for absolutely everything else. If no graphics pack is in use, then creatures are also drawn from the tileset.

Since I have a graphics pack, myself, I'll abstain from the question of favourite.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:51:56 pm »

I'm using Mayday's right now. However, I literally just a few hours ago downloaded RantingRodent's, which looks similar but slightly nicer.

@RantingRodent, you should rebundle it with d16, that's save us some trouble! ;-)

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:47:46 pm »

The d# versions are still too unstable for my liking, and at this point, my graphics pack seems to have a lot more users than the d# versions do. I also don't feel like maintaining yet another version :P
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 02:11:33 am »

personally i use the Mayday graphic tileset, but with the dorfsBEEFMO package for the dwarfs. (sorry rantingrodent! :P )

actually; i tried ranting rodents but i couldn't get them to work.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 03:11:40 am »

I have actually considered taking the huge step into learning how graphics sets work, and combining your tileset and graphics with a few of Mayday's that I like when the next version comes out. Until then, since Mayday's site is down, I am just using yours straight up  :)
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.