Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spay or Neuter your pets?  (Read 3038 times)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spay or Neuter your pets?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 04:54:00 am »

I think this could also be solved by smarter Pit management - being able mass designate a species and gender, for instance, so you could plop all your female cats into isolation.

Of course, given how pregnancy works in DF now, it still wouldn't work. It checks for gender and that's it as far as I'm aware - proximity and distance doesn't factor in.

I wish it did. Cats getting impregnated from across my Dining Hall is a terrible image to have.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 05:04:00 am »

This freaks me out as well. Reminds me of a fortress where the only female cat managed to get impregnated after being tied up on on an inaccessible lava island. I left it there as a lookout for goblins. 3 years later about 20 cats were stuck on a 2x3 block of land.

[ May 15, 2008: Message edited by: A_Fey_Dwarf ]

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 05:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>Castration is pretty straightforward.  Probably undescribably painful, of course, but it's slice, yank, snip, and sew for the gentler version, or just a simple pull and chop for the wince-inducing version.
[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: JT ]</STRONG>

if farmers castrate sheep they can use a rubbery band... not very painful and no sewing required dwarves could use twine.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 01:46:00 pm »

I can picture it now.

Urist1: Okay, how do we do this, Urist2?

Urist2: I know the drill for these buggers. Hold him down. Now, you just take the knife and...

Cat: MRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWL! *bleeds everywhere*

Urist2: There ya go!

Urist1: *tantrum*

When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>or just a simple pull and chop for the wince-inducing version.</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by A_Fey_Dwarf:
<STRONG>The balls just shrivel up and fall off after a couple of weeks. </STRONG>

You just had to put that those in there , didn't you? It makes me wonder why I keep reading this topic...

Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 06:46:00 pm »

"Are you enjoying your ox testicle?"
"Oh yes, very much."
"...Really?  Are you sure you don't want a coconut instead?"
"Nope, I'm good."
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

Just make sure they have some Animal Care skill already.

'Oookay, FOURTH time's the charm...' Chop.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>I think this could also be solved by smarter Pit management - being able mass designate a species and gender, for instance, so you could plop all your female cats into isolation.

Of course, given how pregnancy works in DF now, it still wouldn't work. It checks for gender and that's it as far as I'm aware - proximity and distance doesn't factor in.

I wish it did. Cats getting impregnated from across my Dining Hall is a terrible image to have.</STRONG>

It also makes having lots of war-dogs on restraints a hassle. I've got several of them in a few places used as bait-with-teeth (to lure enemies close to marksdwarves) or chained up to detect and shred thieves before they hassle the civilians, and most of them are female. Apparently the few males are getting really good at telehumping all the females, because there's a steady enough flow of puppies to keep 10 dwarves fed year-round on puppymeat alone.

I can't even count how many I stuffed into a cage before I started the systematic puppycide. I think I'll train 40 of them into war dogs and unleash them all at once at the flanks of the next siege.

Though, from what I've seen, females in cages don't seem to get pregnant, so you could assign them in cages individually, were you patient enough. It might be a good enough stopgap until castration and/or improving the tele-pregnancy find their way into a release (hopefully both, but I'm willing to bet on the latter at least).

Pages: 1 [2]