Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: The argument FOR controversial elements in DF  (Read 16226 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: The argument FOR controversial elements in DF
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2010, 01:26:08 am »

That is both an interesting way to look at adventure mode, and a creative solution to the problem. I wouldn't necessarily choose that path of programming myself, but it has a lot of perks and solves many potential conflicts between the idea of an existing person and the manipulative force that is the player.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2010, 01:40:08 am »

If the player can still commit an [ETHIC:...:UNTHINKABLE] such as torturing, why would they not be allowed to eat another sapient once they have the ability to process corpses?

It's only a tiny nitpick, but the reason the player can commit torture (how the game would draw the line with torture I don't know) and the reason the player can't eat sapients are one and the same thing: the proper implementation of ethics is incomplete. Besides, the entire point of an UNTHINKABLE ethic, as far as I've ever considered it, is that it's just that - it's beyond the scope of the mind of the creature involved. If NOT_APPLICABLE is, well, not applicable, then UNTHINKABLE isn't thinkable.

But besides the nitpicking over your examples, yeah, that's a very good idea you've got there. It'll be extra-interesting with the precedural culture and such, if we could actually "feel" the mental/physical consequences of commiting an act which is considered abhorrent effectively due to the upbringing of the player character.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2010, 01:46:27 am »

If the player can still commit an [ETHIC:...:UNTHINKABLE] such as torturing, why would they not be allowed to eat another sapient once they have the ability to process corpses?

It's only a tiny nitpick, but the reason the player can commit torture (how the game would draw the line with torture I don't know) and the reason the player can't eat sapients are one and the same thing: the proper implementation of ethics is incomplete. Besides, the entire point of an UNTHINKABLE ethic, as far as I've ever considered it, is that it's just that - it's beyond the scope of the mind of the creature involved. If NOT_APPLICABLE is, well, not applicable, then UNTHINKABLE isn't thinkable.

But besides the nitpicking over your examples, yeah, that's a very good idea you've got there. It'll be extra-interesting with the precedural culture and such, if we could actually "feel" the mental/physical consequences of commiting an act which is considered abhorrent effectively due to the upbringing of the player character.

I second your post. All the way for flexibility.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]