Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Extended Mod v0.0.1.3 first Alpha Released!  (Read 5281 times)

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Extended Mod v0.0.1.3 first Alpha Released!
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:52:47 pm »

Now that I have your attention!

Dwarf Fortress Extended

Download Here -->  http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1447

Greeting fellow diggers and cat lovers! This is a mod for DF that will add a lot of new and extra stuff to the game. This mod will also focus on making sure you lose the game faster, more brutal then ever before. If you haven't cried, prepare to do so soon.

I would also like to give my thanks a thousand times for being alowed to incorporate a few already excising mods into this. See it as a modded super package that will make your dwarfs wish they had more beer.

Special thanks to
chaoticjosh for allowing me to use his MOAR MEGEBEASTZ! mod
Rysith for allowing me to use his orcs mod
Boksi for allowing me to use his plants mod
The13thRonin for allowing me to use his Dig Deeper Mod

*do note not everything of above mods is there. A lot has been changed. But I feel these people deserve recognition for their excellent mods!

I'm sure you're all very very tired of reading this now, so here's a list of current changes and included mods, and plans. Do keep in mind, I won't say too much as that will spoil the fun.

-*-Food
- Farming with plants taken from the embark screen is very time consuming. (you will want to not rely on indoor farming alone!)
- A lot of new plants have been added. Most are gathered trough herbalism or trade.
- Booz! Dozens of new booz added.

-*- Creatures

- More Megabeasts added.
- More creatures added. (Oh no I won't spoil it for you!)
- A lot of excising creatures have been changed to be more aggressive and hunt in larger packs.
- Elephants
- New fishable fish added.
- A few new weak animals added that roam in very large packs, making them thé choice to hunt for food.
- Dragons. (though, currently bugged and dropping dead at random.) Dragons are cool though.

-*- Metals, stone, wood
- From the dig deeper and plant mod, more of each added. Choice is everything!

-*- Custom reactions
- Reaction to prospect stones for ore. This will only work on a few kinds of stone, not everything. Done so it wont attempt to prospect the newly found ore and destroy it.
- Reaction to prospect obsidian for ore and rare chance to prospect adamantine and gems from it.

-*- Items
- New instruments added from the Dig Deeper Mod
- Two new shields have been added. Dwarfs can not use them.
- Added a second BOLT to be used for dwarfs only. This is much weaker then normal bolts. Dwarfs will only be able to make these.

-*- Races
- NEW race added; Half-Giants. Currently a mix between orcs and humans, they appear to not like dwarfs a lot regardless of anything. Half Giants are slightly larger then Orcs and hopefully more dangerous.
- Kobolts die out during world gen. Still attempting to find a balance that keeps all races strong and alive.

-*- Hidden Fun Stuff
- Don't peek in the raws if you can! (I mean it, just play as if it was a new DF!)

Addition plans are short and simple: Make you lose the game more often!

!!!This mod will include version 40D16 due to the changes needed in the original raws. You will need to change your init and tileset to what you use normally. Or leave it standard if you haven't changed any of it. I strongly suggest you do not mix this mod with other mods as the cheer amount of stuff happening in the world gen is enormous. I also strongly suggest you being with the "Create World Now!" to see how long it takes to gen that small world before attempting to make a Large world.!!!

Anything you think might be a wonderful (well not in the eyes of the dwarfs) addition, feel free to request. I will take every post into consideration!

-Updated 28/09/09 First Build released. V0.0.1.3
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:20:35 pm by Guilliman »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

It's 28/29 sep here, we want to test it :).

By the way, you might be interested in Luggage's instrument mod which is avaliable for a few years and is the most complete instrument mod I've ever seen and used.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's 28/29 sep here, we want to test it :).

By the way, you might be interested in Luggage's instrument mod which is avaliable for a few years and is the most complete instrument mod I've ever seen and used.

Cool I'll look into it.

Also I'm currently playtesting a build. Dragons are alive except one that spontaniously catches fire. The fire isnt the issue, thats normal, he just doesnt need to die from it!

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you don't recommend using this with other mods does/will it include the cat fix and economic stone mods?

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you don't recommend using this with other mods does/will it include the cat fix and economic stone mods?

Hmm it doesnt come with either so far. But I can see myself putting in a cat fix though. Not sure about the economic stone yet. I'll look into it though. :)

First Alpha build uploaded (well, public build actually :P)
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1447

Updating first post.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Extended Mod v0.0.1.3 first Alpha Released!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:53:09 pm »

Nice to see you working on this Guill.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 10:54:17 am »

I must say that I have never died more quickly.  First game I embarked in some haunted marsh and two skeletal time lost dragons appeared as I was putting in my entrance.  I survived the wave after wave of skeletal fish and geese with no problem, but as soon as they decided to come for me I was dead.  I tried reclaiming and got 70 dwarves.  They managed to dogpile one of the dragons and kill it, but it cost the lives of 35 dwarves.  The rest tantrumed and got picked off one by one.  Before I abandoned for the last time a second pair of dragons showed up.

My second embark was in a joyful/wilderness grassland/woodland.  This time I wasn't even able to have everybody pick up picks before two white dragons appeared and killed everyone.  Four reclaims later (bringing 30-40 war dogs each time) I managed to kill off the dragons and all the beserking dwarves.  It is just now fall and no other dragons have appeared.

Edit:  Traded with dwarven merchants, and then four dragons appeared.  Two greens and two whites.  My military takes out the whites at the cost of thier lives and 30 war dogs, but one of the whites managed to get inside the fortress and do considerable damage before being killed.  The orcs have now appeared outside, so I have sealed the fortress from the outside world.  I'll see if I can ride out a tantrum spiral, since I know I can't take on the two green dragons and 14 orcs. 

Are dragons supposed to show up like megabeasts?  Or just like randomly spawning wild animals?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:57:53 am by Zifnab »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 12:01:39 pm »

Just thought I'd post this list.  Dragons seem like they would be fun if they were maybe at 1% of their current numbers.
             343069 red dragons
   821869 mountain talbuks
   44194791 boars
   379564 green dragons
   44190 mountain goats
   1009616 mountain leprecons
   5475 phoenixes
   63442 geese
   170859 rabbits
   420235 blue dragons
   341000 white dragons
   72515 dire wolves
   114914 pheasants
   39085 deer
   25882 raccoons
   4126 grizzly bears
   27708 foxes
   20296 sasquatches
   6307 giant eagles
   61301 hoary marmots
   2408 vultures
   3098 llamas
   6960 satyrs
   31328 pegasi
   27992 unicorns
   4291611 murlocs
   32273 time lost dragons
   63268 wolves
   3398 black bears
   8643 cougars
   1007 foul blendecs
   7459 werewolves
   44570 black dragons
   7124 dark gnomes
   2040 gargoyles
   117143 groundhogs
   189796 rhesus macaques
   50397 horses
   3444 sand golems
   4425 one-humped camels
   462 jaguars
   10686 elk
   343 leopards
   4223 two-humped camels
   56872 buffalo
   9644 muskoxen
   14309 snailmen
   18016 slugmen
   27462 green slimes
   2306 longnose gars
   3105 carp
   4285 salmon
   116 nightwings
   395 ghouls
   2658 alligators
   367 leechmen
   2259 pike
   2355 giant anacondas
   1981 sea lampreys
   10088 wargs
   148 giant desert scorpions
   345 giant jaguars
   399 giant leopards
   12809 yaks
   18249 harpies

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 12:09:50 pm »

343069 red dragons
Wow...

Also, what the hell is "talbuk"?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 07:35:37 am »

Also, what the hell is "talbuk"?

A WoW creature, sort of a goat/horse mix

Yeah dragons do look like there's a lot of them. I'll tweak them a bit. I'm thinking it's their age and the fact they fly giving them a high survivability.

Dragons are supposed to be flyong Elephants tho, if you know what I mean. But I'll take a look. Been somewhat unable to do much lately due to illness and work (combined  :-\ )

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 09:55:50 am »

running linux here -- copied over the data and raw folders -- seems to be generating the world ok .  anything else I should need?
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 09:02:51 pm »

Great mod!  This is the first mod that has felt like a 'fair' challenge; the difficulty of finding enough food while surviving marauding dragons is really wonderful.  Previous challenge mods that I've found difficult to survive do it with rapidly increasing sieges populations, and they're ultimately unsurvivable, which isn't fun.  This is, it's just really hard :)

I have noticed some oddness with farming; particularly with disappearing quarry bushes, which grow and then vanish without any bushes or leaves in the Z screen to speak of.  I took a look at the raws, and can't figure out what might be going on.  Perhaps a bug showing up because of the very long grow times?

Incidentally, the extremely long grow times also make crop type management difficult, since they extend several seasons thereby voiding choices made in the plot's Q menu.  Perhaps the same farming difficulty could be achieved through lowered cluster values instead?

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 09:13:55 pm »

Ooo, just found this excellent farming mod thread:  http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24666.0

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 10:25:01 pm »

Amazing, great mod, i literally just embarked and a mob of 20+ murlocs just destroyed my seven dwarfs. I don't think its a good idea to cancel the world generation at 1 year?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:42:47 pm by Comrade »