Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Values & Ideals  (Read 3641 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Values & Ideals
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2010, 08:44:45 am »

My values are extremely compicated, and my philosophy far more so.

My primary value is that speech should flow freely. Censorship, in any form, for ay reason, is the greatest crime any person can commit, for it makes all other atrocities possible. This does not mean that one is free from the consequences of what he says, for there is no right not to get your teeth knocked in when you insult someone enough, or advocate that that person be chained or slaughtered.

How do you draw the line between knocking somebodies teeth in when they insult you (which I think is an asshole move) and knocking in somebodies teeth when they say your party has bad policies? Both can be regarded as an insult.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2010, 08:56:07 am »

I could have put it a lot more clearly, but I was trying to be consice. Basically, its wrong to pass a law that says you can't insult or offend someone. That does not give you a license to constantly verbally abuse someone, or imply that he or she is subhuman, or advocate that they are inherently inferior due to race, religion, or sexual identity, and that it is not wrong to respond to such things given sufficient provocation. What constitues sufficient provocation is difficult to quantify. Explaing the philosophy underlying this would take a very long time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2010, 02:38:40 pm »

Physical aggression is not a right,dude. And you are keeping a double standard. Freedom of speech must necessarily involve freedom to offend.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2010, 07:07:55 pm »

Like I said, this my moral philosophy. I believe that physical aggression s justified in some situations. It is a cornerstone of my religious and ethical philosophy. And yes, freedom of speech does mean freedom to offend. But freedom do offend does not mean freedom from consequences. Its simply that  the government has no place in delivering those consequences.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2010, 03:53:50 pm »

By giving random people the power to  enact summary justice for "unnaceptable" opinions, you are actually going beyond goverment censorship into lynch law.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]