Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steel Varieties  (Read 1083 times)

Hammer of Hepaestus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Steel Varieties
« on: January 27, 2008, 11:21:00 pm »

Perhaps cobalt steel could be included in the game. Something that requires flux, carbon and cobalt. Perhaps it could deal/protect 150%.

Perhaps chromium steel too..

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Steel Varieties
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002345

There's a lot of cool ideas for steel there.

But until it's possible to use realistic portions (one ore + a small percent of another instead of two ores for an alloy), all these 'exotic' alloys would be annoying.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 12:29:00 am »

I vote no. Metalworking and steel production is advanced enough for me as it is, I don't really see the point in splitting hairs over metal types just for the sake of completeness. Not to my taste, sorry.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:49:00 am »

That is true.   Having every alloy in the world would make the game confusing.  And we don't want that happening.    :p

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:13:00 am »

I'll just drop by and plug this in here as well.

Frankly, I think weapon quality already accounts for the different levels of steel quality, at least until we get more differentiation of metal types such as weapon weight, durability and resistance to rusting/corrosion.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

I can see this working in two different ways:

The first way is: What if, instead of 2 different, equally-sized metals, if instead you had the ability to combine metals with valuable gemstones which have been specially treated with elemental properties, and in the process create metals with unusual properties? That way, it doesn't seem silly because the gems themselves would be destroyed in the process, and you might have a hefty chance of failure even at upper levels of skill, but the end result incase of success would be something really interesting. This would require a new Elementalist skill, and dwarves would only be able to create certain gems they'd have an affinity for, like for instance ones for elemental Earth, Fire, Salt, Magma, etc. Others (ice, storm, time, acid, whatever) would have to be purchased from other races. This would allow you to create substances with different useful properties-Elemental salt weapons might be useful against undead, for instance, whereas obviously fire weapons could set things on fire (including your stuff). Weapons, themselves, would still function as their base metal and quality would indicate, in addition to the elemental property.
The risk would be that failure might result in releasing the angry trapped elemental creature into your fortress.  

The second way is to expand the Alchemy skill, to allow very skilled alchemists to enhance, rather than alter, the properties of your metals by researching and creating alloys. This would entail purchasing or creating expensive and volatile chemicals, and be an elaborate process, rather than simply shoving two different metal bars into each other. You could, in this way, create a metal that would be of a better quality than it's base (more suitable specifically for weapons or armor or other applications), or lighter, or more valuable. The downside would be that the more involved the alchemic process, the greater and wider level of miasma it would cause, as a result of pollution.

For they would be your masters.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 03:05:00 am »

See: Future of the Fortress (magic)