Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: effect of letting animals spawn anywhere  (Read 1018 times)

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
effect of letting animals spawn anywhere
« on: January 12, 2010, 02:33:01 am »

I made is so that all animals and vermin could spawn everywhere. So now,I have worms and flies and spiders all over the place--I NEED a catsplosion right now. I didn't have a weaver for a while,so nobody was collecting webs for a few years..now,this is what my map looks like:

I also had problems with blood gnats before,but I just deleted their kind from my game because they pissed me off-- there were more of them than other vermin,and my cats could never kill them all.

Also,my world is full of harpies and various kinds of somethingmen. I have 3 pages of only batmen on my units list,and I'm having more trouble with slugmen than goblins. Other than that,though,I like the modding I did...I can catch whales in ponds,polar bears come chill near my volcano,and mountain gnomes can coexist with dark gnomes.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:49:58 am by kawaiidesunekochan »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: effect of letting animals spawn anywhere
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 03:45:45 am »

I heard someone once say there was a cap on the number of creatures that could be assigned to appear in any particular biome during world gen. I've personally never found proof of this.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 05:26:06 am »

Holy crap. That sounds AWESOME.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:41:51 am »

I heard someone once say there was a cap on the number of creatures that could be assigned to appear in any particular biome during world gen. I've personally never found proof of this.

I don't know if there's a cap, but Biome's definitely don't always have every kind of creature that can appear in them. I've run into chasms and bottomless pits that lacked Cave Spiders for instance.

As for the web issue, i modded in a few spider types, including House Spiders and Orb Weaving Spiders, to provide low quality silk for moods, the webs EVERYWHERE does get kind of annoying.

On the upside, it provides a near limitless supply of labour for my hordes of drudges when they're not hauling stuff.

KernelM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:03:22 am »

Sorry for a bit of an offtopic question but... which tileset is that? It looks great.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:06:38 am »

It's the Mayday Tileset.

KernelM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:12:40 am »

It's the Mayday Tileset.

Hmm... must be a newer version that what I'm using then. Time to update. Thanks for the info.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 07:14:08 am »

Yeah, Mike's latest update changed the background of the tiles to be semitransparent (since D16 supports semitransparency) so everything looks less overcontrasted.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 01:00:39 pm »

Do you have any extra creatures or vanilla? I would like to get my hands on this mod. Think you could share it?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!