Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PC in DF  (Read 631 times)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
PC in DF
« on: March 27, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

Sometimes I really wish we could have an adventure-mode style character within our fortress game.  With military controls and groupings being so confusing and cumbersom, sometimes I wish I could just go into an adventure mode within my DF game and walk an axeman over and chop that bloody raccoon.

I'd also just love to have a sort of personal character within the fortress, someone that repesented me the player.  I'd gain skills and have needs and moods just like any other dwarf and he'd usually just go around like a normal dwarf, but in a pinch I could select and play him and do what a normal dwarf does.  It would be great too if you could eventually upgrade your player-dwarf to a noble and gain the benifits.  Feel like your PC is truely the leader of the fortress.  Your avatar within the game.  Perhaps while playing with this option on, if your avatar dies it's game over.

[ March 27, 2007: Message edited by: Baro ]

Black Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PC in DF
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

quote:
I'd also just love to have a sort of personal character within the fortress, someone that repesented me the player.

You can easily do that. Just nickname one of your dwarves after yourself, give them an impressive job title like "Big Boss," give them the best of everything, and rule with an iron fist or caring hand at your leisure.

You can do the same thing with a noble if you want to be a noble. Admittedly, this is more the imaginative route - it would be neat if an adventurer could show up in Fortress mode.

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

I really like this idea, and I think that it will become more probable once Toady adds in the ability to add other civilizations (not just Dwarf fortresses, but maybe human towns and elven sanctuaries)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »

Oh I already do the custom name/title thing.  I'd just like the ability to actually control that character with adventure-mode like controls.  So I could just select my little avatar, press A for adventure mode, and the game would pause and go into 1-step mode.  I could do anything from going over and picking up that one damn piece of rock my idiot haulers haven't gotten to and I really need moved so I can build a workshop, to running outside and killing some bloody elephants.  Of course, if your character dies, it's game over for your fortress.  You could even give them noble-upgrades once you reach the requirements, but your avatar would then require the same housing and such as a noble.  Perhaps even a slight skill-tree where you could pick what type of noble youd make your Avatar, which would give certain bonuses but forclude others.  So perhaps if your Avatar was very combat oriented he could gain some special Avatar-bonus to any dwarves in his squad, or quicking skill training.  Or maybe you'd pick your avatar to give a farming bonus to your fortress.  Little things like that would be quite fun.

So would cave-trams to help speed up long walks and hauling...