Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Will he ever be better?  (Read 1278 times)

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will he ever be better?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 01:50:38 am »

Dwarves will die to traps if they get webbed, stunned, or pass out due to pain there. Anything else and they're fine. Toady has it hardcoded so tiredness will not cause a dwarf to fall asleep on a trap tile, in fact, a dwarf will stay awake forever if his only options to sleep are trap tiles (unfortunately, they can sleep anywhere else, so you can't use this to keep them awake unless you have them doing literally nothing).
Technically you could have them smooth and engrave, or channel out the edges of the trap area.

But I just thought of something. Say you have a door set to be interior (i.e. won't block room resize fill) and forbidden, with a weapon rack/armour set on one side and a fully trapped area on the other. Designate the whole area as a barracks and add your dwarves to it (making sure you can drop in food and booze periodically). The traps could be cage traps (for safe capture of any wounded - animals won't bleed to death in a cage if they were injured beforehand, will they?), spear traps (because they don't do any damage unless triggered), weak weapon traps or a mix. Hell, you can have strong weapon traps and turn it into a gladiatorial death match arena, like the tower of destiny idea that people put up before. First person to fall unconscious dies.

Since they would never rest their wounds (unless they passed out and survived), presumably they keep any yellow injuries or worse forever. Which could lead to you having an army of cripples.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 07:32:51 am »

Dwarves will die to traps if they get webbed, stunned, or pass out due to pain there. Anything else and they're fine. Toady has it hardcoded so tiredness will not cause a dwarf to fall asleep on a trap tile, in fact, a dwarf will stay awake forever if his only options to sleep are trap tiles (unfortunately, they can sleep anywhere else, so you can't use this to keep them awake unless you have them doing literally nothing).

Let's say you would want a dwarf or friendly unit to fall victim to a trap, you could drop said unit from a rectrable bridge above the trap and the short uncousciouness due to the fall should cause them to trigger the trap.

Battle situations can easily cause this to happen (minus the bridge), I often get champions ending up in a cage cause some orc stunned them or caused them to go uncouscious due to injury and happen to fall ona  cage trap. It's just a question of playing triage in the cage stockpile but still.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 08:02:47 am »

I like blind marksdwarves, especially elite ones... I fell off my chair laughing, when I first saw a blind champion marksdwarf firing at least 100bpm (bolts per minute) in completely random directions ;D
I saw a video on the DFMA of a blind dwarf shooting at the range. It was almost lucky that no one was anywhere near it at the time.

Come to think of it, can a blind dwarf accidentally commit friendly fire? If so, you could put him in your dining room to see how many kills you get.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 12:35:15 pm »

I don't think friendly fire is possible with crossbows at all.  That is why your marksdwarves can shoot into a melee without hitting your own dwarves.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 [2]