Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Taking Trophies.  (Read 1614 times)

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Trophies.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 01:08:05 pm »

When I first lose a warrior, I build a great boat of bauxite with masterpiece coffins.

Wait, you build a boat?
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 03:03:00 pm »

Yes.  This is obviously the more dwarvenly version of the Viking boat-pyres. 

Once it's completely decorated and well-stocked with grave goods, it gets dropped into the magma.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 03:08:25 pm »

Yes.  This is obviously the more dwarvenly version of the Viking boat-pyres. 

Once it's completely decorated and well-stocked with grave goods, it gets dropped into the magma.
Exactly, except it's sealed shut before I drop it.

One flaw I have noticed with this is that the friends of the warriors get an unhappy thought from having "experienced the decay of a friend". But it's a small price to pay for what usually turns out to be a pretty epic funeral.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 08:20:00 pm »

For trophies, I simply take their skulls and pave my hallways. If there was a good way to pack skulls densely other than totems in bins, I'd do it, but as it is, I just declare refuse stockpiles in the residential hallways and around my entrance.

For remembrance of those lost to us, I give them good quality coffins deep in the veins of the mountain; engraved with legendary masterworks, the heroes of our fortress may rest, among the ores they helped protect. That being said, I have toyed with laying them to rest in my obsidian farm, using it as a crematorium. Or carving niches in my dining halls, where those eating can be heartened by tales of those who gave their lives for their fortress.

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 03:29:30 am »

Remembrance is a big issue in my forts. Every dwarf gets at minimum 3x3 tomb in the halls of the damned, each with a high-quality coffin, statue and engravings. The founding seven get 4x3 tombs behind their bedrooms, and are given two obsidian statues and an obsidian coffin.
Military champions have their own Hall of Fallen Heroes, a 3 level chamber with a pedestal for each fighter. On top of each pedestal is a high-quality steel coffin, and whenever one is buried there a reserved steel statue is placed in front of it.

Also, another special method of remembrance I sometimes use is something I read somewhere a while back- put the deceased into a 1x1 room of magma, cool to make obsidian, and then build a statue from the result.
"...Although, how you misplace an entire corpse is beyond me."

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 11:47:06 am »

I always save all the adamantine I have on my map and make coffins out of it (to be droppes in a magma pipe at a later time) then, when I run out of adamantine, or if I have none I use steel and if I have no magma, they go into a "hall of heroes" with 5X5, engraved rooms that each have a golden statue at each corner for legendaries, a "hall of shamefulness" with small 1X3 rooms (nobles have tombs that arn't used.

When the next noble comes, they get the royal tomb and get buried in the hall of shame) for nobles and
cat-lovers (usually dropped in chasm if available)
and a "hall of averageness" for average civilians which has 3X3 rooms, smoothed and with a single statue of a nice rock.
Pages: 1 [2]