Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mouse Guard Fortress Mod - Everything eats you.  (Read 14051 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse Guard Fortress Mod - Everything eats you.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 06:22:19 pm »

Actually, my first thought was, "When did Redwall go Dark and Edgy?"  But DF Modding was right behind that.

I'd never heard of Mouse Guard before this thread, but I thought of Redwall too.  In fact, now I want to make a Redwall mod.  This Mouse Guard is clearly a total ripoff with inferior cover illustrations.

Salamandastron sets a pretty good precedent for Redwall mountain halls.  Maybe it'll turn out to be Badger Fortress.  Shit, I AM going to do this.  Ironically I'll probably have to leave out Redwall itself, since it's a multi-racial entity.  More like Mossflower era.  There'll have to be a gigantic number of entities for hedgehog colonies, otters, searats and all that crap.  Hot damn.

I guess I won't have to mod pikes (the fish) much.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:34:02 pm by Footkerchief »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 06:45:46 pm »

Wouldn't Salamandastron be a hare fortress with a Badger Leader?  [POWER] tag should work, though I don't know what the effect of a mortal race with [POWER] would be.

For that matter, big predators with [POWER] leading vermin civs would work on the other side, just finagle the spheres and such to make sure they each wind up leading the right sides.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 06:50:53 pm »

Wouldn't Salamandastron be a hare fortress with a Badger Leader?  [POWER] tag should work, though I don't know what the effect of a mortal race with [POWER] would be.

For that matter, big predators with [POWER] leading vermin civs would work on the other side, just finagle the spheres and such to make sure they each wind up leading the right sides.

Oh, good call.  Somehow I don't foresee much difficulty with the spheres, Redwall isn't exactly chock full of moral ambiguity.

I'll probably hold off until after the next release though.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 06:55:15 pm »

Heh, I was thinking Redwall too, but there's large enough differences between the two so you should go ahead.

That being said, I loved the first few Redwall books, until it became the standard Brian Jacques:
1. outnumbered militia fighting
2. lots of food
3. pre-deterministically evil vermin
4. lots of food
5. vision/dream of Martin
6. lots of food
7. outnumbered militia beating crap out of vermin horde
8. lots of food
9. badgers/hares kicking ass
10. more food.

Repeated ad nauseum. In the later books the Long Patrol is probably one of the few that stand out to me, also loved Mossflower and Salamandastron.

Also /tg/ wanted it to remain pure to the Mouse Guard strip/RPG which is pretty cool.

My friend got further on the graphics sprites so another release tomorrow or in 2 days. If you do a Redwall mod you could use the graphics set as well.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 07:03:47 pm »

As much as I liked Redwall in elementary school, especially Mossflower since it was the first one I read and one of the all around best, this sums up how I remember them now.  Also, I don't give a shit about food.

Anyway, yeah, Mouseguard.  Still, looking for other things to update/change, like gremlins and camels.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:09:18 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 07:07:44 pm »

My friend got further on the graphics sprites so another release tomorrow or in 2 days. If you do a Redwall mod you could use the graphics set as well.

Thanks!  I don't know, I might try making my own for that unique feel.  Depends how ambitious I'm feeling come April, I guess.

As much as I liked Redwall in elementary school, especially Mossflower since it was the first one I read and one of the all around best, this sums up how I remember them now.  Also, I don't give a shit about food.

Haha.  Yeah, I'm not sure my enthusiasm would survive a rereading.  It's just such a good fit for a mod, probably because the books were so formulaic and predictable (with regard to creatures' life patterns and morality), but also the whole emphasis on medieval combat and stuff.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:11:52 pm by Footkerchief »

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 12:22:29 am »

1. outnumbered militia fighting
2. lots of food
3. pre-deterministically evil vermin
4. lots of food
5. vision/dream of Martin
6. lots of food
7. outnumbered militia beating crap out of vermin horde
8. lots of food
9. badgers/hares kicking ass
10. more food.

Repeated ad nauseum.

You forgot the singing. Oh god, the singing. At least Tom Bombadil had the decency to bugger off after a couple of chapters.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Dwarf Mouse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 02:14:31 pm »

...Yeah, turns out the fish thing was just me forgetting to make sure the Fishery actually finished construction. Boy is my face red.

That said, 1.1 does this number:

edit: It's because the grid setting in init is:

[GRID:160:50]
[FULLGRID:160:50]

Is there something I'm missing (again)?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:25:25 pm by Dwarf Mouse »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 02:19:13 pm »

Ahh, in the 1.1 release I had done some bug fixing on version 1 with a tweaked init file, so if you start playing past the loading screens in Fortress, Adventure, or Legends mode it'll give you a larger view screen by default. Make sure to use Full Screen mode if it's stretched out. If you want to fix it before I get to it, go to your Mouse Guard "Dwarf Fortress" folder - click on the "data" folder, then "init" folder and click on init.txt and edit
Code: [Select]
[GRID:160:50]
[FULLGRID:160:50]
into
[GRID:80:25]
[FULLGRID:80:25]
instead. That will give you a normal viewport.

My friend is slow on the sprites, but if I have to I'll release a version 1.15 with various fixes before releasing the version with the graphics sprites.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:22:24 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Dwarf Mouse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 01:32:51 pm »

I'm still holding out hope for the graphics mod.

Dwarf Mouse

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 09:34:07 pm »

Was interest just lost, or did the tileset never come through?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 11:25:12 am »

Hey, sorry for necro threading, but in case Kael or someone else wants to put it up:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=45339.0
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 [2]