Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Determinants of Last Names  (Read 913 times)

labouts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Determinants of Last Names
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:00:22 am »

Recently, I added aquatic people (called "Sei") to my game and made their Civilization revolve around water. I noticed that almost all of them had water biased last names:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My question: What decides their naming pattern?
The wiki says naming is "quite random" and searching didn't reveal any posts on this subject.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Determinants of Last Names
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:18:29 am »

Entity symbols. Symbols and possibly spheres.

More elaborate is the way the game seems to have some built-in algorithm for selecting specific first names for civvers: for example, the name "Urist" is taken from LANGUAGE_DWARF.txt, but it's always a candidate for naming. There's no randomisation of which words are used.

labouts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:34:42 am »

Ah, thanks. I messed with those and it seems only symbols was responsible; I'm a bit annoyed at myself that I didn't think of that immediately. In any case, I'll add that to the wiki.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:37:10 am by labouts »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:52:35 pm »

More elaborate is the way the game seems to have some built-in algorithm for selecting specific first names for civvers: for example, the name "Urist" is taken from LANGUAGE_DWARF.txt, but it's always a candidate for naming. There's no randomisation of which words are used.
Elaborate?
I've seen every single word classified as a noun used for first names before.
Urist = "dagger"
That doesn't seem all that elaborate.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 04:24:49 pm »

It isn't really more elaborate than the rest of naming. Urist always being a candidate for a name is because the word Dagger is part of the Artifice symbols, from which dwarves draw their names. They should also draw names from the Earth symbols, though a modded race of mine doesn't seem to use selected symbols beyond the first (which was quite noticeable with the Latin language file - too many Conmercios!). You should be unlikely to find a dwarf named Agak unless he's goblin-raised, or a dwarf named Istbar. On humans, you should similarly be unlikely to find an Umpig, but you may find a Tawki (and an Olith, for that matter).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu